No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Swirl Glass. American? Really old?  (Read 654 times)

Offline ks85

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • IA
Blue Swirl Glass. American? Really old?
« on: July 11, 2012, 03:30:05 AM »
I have some more pieces of blue glass I was hoping someone could help me with.  I believe they may be really old, but am not positive. 

Here are a couple similar pieces that were sold on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-PRIMITIVE-EARLY-AMERICAN-BLOWN-FOOTED-COBALT-BOWL-/261025441102?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc654254e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1800s-Antique-Cobalt-Flint-Glass-Swirled-Master-Salt-Hand-Blown-Open-Pontil-/270960876704?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1686dca0

I have no clue how to tell how old these are and/or who they were made by. I was hoping someone could tell me if these are as old as the others shown and hopefully tell me how I can tell for the future.  Or if you could direct me to a site with more info I would really appreciate it. 

All I know is the glass looks for similar to my non trained eye. 

Thanks for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Blue Swirl Glass. American? Really old?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:42:04 AM »
Here are some of the problems associated with Stiegel & South Jersey glass made in the 18th century. If ever there was a category of U.S. glass that demands a hands on approach...this is it. Pictures are inadequate simply because most of this type of glass was widely reproed going back to the 1930s by skilled blowers who lost their positions when the companies went belly-up during the Depression. Individuals such as Emil J. Larson of Vineland NJ who blew for Dorflinger & Durand by the mid-30's  was blowing his own glass in a one pot shop in Vineland & did hundreds of reproductions of Stiegel glass & Jersey glass.

During that era (1930s) this type of glass as well as EAPG was collectible while most of the U.S. companies collected today are those who survived the Depression & today there are few legitimate experts who can tell the difference between originals & repros. The market colectible market for Stiegel & South Jersey glass used number in the hundreds into until the early 1960s when post Depression glass companies started to dominant the collectible market.
Now reproductions dominate what is left of the market. You will need to find a true 18th century expert for glass of this type who can examine it in person. Thats the best advice I have unfortunately.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 06:01:15 AM »
Extremely problematic to identify, I agree. I have a few pieces myself - and never even associated these with North American glass. To me they they are most likely to be made by Verrerie de Rance in Belgium, before 1850 when they went bellyup.  A more recent replica seems unlikely in these parts as we never had an example like Stiegl to copy.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ks85

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • IA
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »
Thank you both for your replies Ivo and Ohio.   I guess they will have to go with the "who knows" group for a while.  Hopefully I will be close an expert in the near future and they will be willing to look at them in person.   Looked on google and couldnt find any near Iowa. 

Thanks again for the replies. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand