No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible W/Fs shape in amethyst  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible W/Fs shape in amethyst
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:11:13 PM »
This shape was certainly offered by W/Fs, and can be seen in catalogues from 1938 and perhaps a couple of later ones  -  although I'm unsure it's theirs as Jackson shows examples with ribbon trailing and threading only - nothing undecorated like this one.          Height is 5"  -  the amethyst colour is very strong, and wear is consistent with some reasonable age  -  has a ring to die for.
Grateful if anyone is able to offer some thoughts one way or the other, and thanks for looking :).     

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: possible W/Fs shape in amethyst
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:29:48 PM »
Paul, is it you who has both Richards and Webb in amethyst?  I would love to see a pic of all three together showing the variation in colour.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 02:50:27 PM »
That ribbing might lead me to Walsh...

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »
thanks for the replies............must admit the depth of amethyst does look very like my Richardson piece  -  and I'd overlooked Walsh Christine (although looking quickly in Reynolds I don't see this shape) - and yes I do also have Webb in the same colour.         Presently immersed in watching the cycling, so may be a little longer in coming back than normal (fingers crossed for some more gold medals).
I will post single pic of Richardson/Webb/this one, a little later.           As we know, these other factories didn't always mark their pieces, so has potential to be one of several I guess, and on reflection I think this colour is too deep for W/Fs.      Probably an example of optic ribbing.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 06:20:01 PM »
in comparison with the larger Richardson piece, and today's small vase, the Webb's amethyst looks rather washed out, and I'd say the Richardson has the most depth of colour, possibly (it's the only piece with a backstamp).          I've no catalogues or books on Richardson with which to check, and seems my mistake in thinking W/Fs so really no further forward at the moment, and hoping for guidance (or should that be divine intervention).          Electric light not the best for pix, but think reasonably accurate reperesentation of colour  -  could do them again in daylight tomorrow if necessary.

P.S.   Did well again on the push bikes  -  well done Meares for Oz in beating Pendleton (we'll forgive the elbowing ;))

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »
Paul, explore all avenues with your initial Whitefriars thoughts, the base and the spiral ribbing are screaming W/f to me and remember  most of these  retained the one pattern number for all the different design finishes, whether it be spiral, wave or threaded.
Looks very much like 9018 to me which shows in the Jackson book as threaded, the catalogues are not working properly on .com but pretty sure if you look hard enough in the cats on .org you will find a spiral ribbed example? so don't move on too quickly 'cos I think it just maybe.
Chris

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 06:41:54 PM »
I wouldn't say that was spiral ribbing, more ribbing that's gone off vertical with shaping. Hasn't the 9018 got a hollow foot or at least slightly raised more than this one

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »
thanks Chris........it was mostly the shape that first got me thinking of W/Fs., but looking at the pix in Jackson the amethyst showing there (page 123) seems a different shade to this one.        There is, however, a piece of amethyst in the same book (the large experimental vase on page 136 - plate 149) that is a deeper shade, similar to this piece.           I think Christine is correct in saying that in my piece the ribs don't spiral, at least not until they get to within an inch of the rim, then they do lean round a little.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 08:43:31 PM »
Thanks Paul :) they look gorgeous but that Richardson amethyst is sublime - it's a perfect shade.  I regret now not buying the bowl/vase I saw. 
m

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 11:39:35 PM »
Hi Paul,

I'd go with Whitefriars (well Powell really), indees I already have with the one I've got  ;) :)

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand