No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Transparent Crystal Emerald Green Bullseye Vase  (Read 618 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Transparent Crystal Emerald Green Bullseye Vase
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:09:55 PM »
Hi all, I exchanged, for this lovely elegant Emerald Green Crystal Bud Vase over the weekend  from a friend who could not wait to dangle it in front of my face,  yes! I know..........'dangle' :o  It was clear I was not going to resist and with mixed excitement and desperation for it's safety as the reflection of moving natural light had me hypnotised, without hesitation I completed the transaction. ;D   Unable to extract information regarding this vase from my research, other than a recent positive I.D on a previous posting (http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,48740.msg274780.html#msg274780), that has led me to conclude that this vase is a Galliano Ferro vase. ::)  Clear similarities within the patternization is apparent, however, unable to find this particular vase.  The vase appears to be made out of two sections or extra layered to the lower section of the vase during the making.  The lower section is thicker and  uneven, slightly curved rim can be felt around the circumference of the vase (3/4 of the way down), which suggest that this may have occurred during the initial stages of processing. The height of the vase is 37.5cm, hexagonal and irregular curved shape base approx. 8cm at widest point.  From the base centre to the edge sits  flat on a levelled surface and from the outer edge tapers upwards/outwards approx. 3cm high were it is part of the beginning of the bullseye design section.   Around the circumference of the tapered edge there are five slightly concaved surfaces which also is smooth and curved around the edges.  This may not be clear on the pictures taken, but hopefully from the information provided will assist those within this field for identification. Any help, gratefully appreciated!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NMott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
Re: Transparent Crystal Emerald Green Bullseye Vase
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
Not sure why it would be in two parts if it was a Galliano Ferro vase, and the bobbles seem a bit weak.
tbh, I'm not seeing the quality here that would indicate it's an example of Ferro's work.

It's closer to this:

http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=spikey+seed

http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_241_242&products_id=4059

...but might still be a copy.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 12:56:09 AM »
Hi! I welcome your comments. ;D   I should mention that the lower section of the vase is cased.  The quality is of my opinion to a significant high standard.  The quality of pictures taken may not of done it justice. :(  I will try to work on this and see if I can submit better pictures.  I cannot see the similarties to the Empoli designs you have used as reference, well that is what I am assuming you were referring to, however, I will not dismiss this as an avenue, and will most definitely investigate this as a line of approach.  Having yet again compared it to the bowl on my previous posting, I can assure you, the quality of workmanship is spot on!  This does not in anyway mean that it is a "Galliona Ferro Vase".  The base is most definitely shouting out to me Murano and judging by the ware I would say made in the late 20th Century.  Just to also mention, there is a few air pockets within the casing and the whole weight of the vase is 1.6kg.  Thickness at the opening rim is 0.7cm.

I have attached improved pictures but need to invest in a good quality camera  ;D

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 02:06:22 AM »
It looks like the basic vase is created, then the lower half dipped in more glass to create the coating/cased effect at the bottom. Lumps and glass are then picked up from the marver and then worked a little. It's the same process as overshot. The other possibility would be Czech, but I don't recognize the piece as being from any Czech factory I know. Murano seems a good bet.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline NMott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 08:26:13 PM »
It reminds me of a Consolidated Catalonia Knobs vase (but I may be way off track):
[LINK REMOVED]

[Mod:  Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead]

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:49:22 PM »
Firstly, I welcome your comments.  I will be 'gentle'................Definately not a 'Catalonia Knobs vase'. ;D  Had I seen one, to be honest, I would not have looked twice.  Having researched it, I am very surprised by the prices.  I will definately be looking twice now!  ;)

Thanks for your comments David.  You have explained the process techinically which has helped me understand how the vase was made.   I have researched Czech vases,  I too share your doubts.  Mmmmmmm! ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand