No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Red green Apple tree paperweight- Antique? Bohemian? Dump shape 4 layer fountain  (Read 4779 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I cannot find hide nor hair of a reference for this anywhere, but I'm sure I've seen one similar before because I remember seeing it and thinking if I ever saw another I would buy it.  This one unfortunately has really been through the wars and is not in a good state.  However regardless of this, it's just perfect, exactly as I imagined it would be.  But now I cannot find my reference anywhere.  It's very neatly done with each layer being separate.
It's wonderful because if you look side on it's very neat and look like a tree  coming into leaf, but if you look at it from a slight angle top down it suddenly bursts into leaf and bloom and is full of reds and green. 
I thought it might have been Bohemian and therefore fairly old?  but I could be wrong.
It has four 'fountain' layers of the green bits some of which look like bits of canes.  With red 'apples' or 'blossom' interspersed in the branches.  The foot i.e. the ground underneath the tree,  is a bit swirly with transparent colours. The base is flat ground but is badly damaged and practically white with marks.

Can anyone remember seeing this anywhere please? or have any information on it?
Many thanks for your time :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
close ups which should show canes.  It's been a struggle to get them to show clearly.
thanks for looking:)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
a couple more

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
is it possible this is a Silesian weight?  I've found some very tenuous links or rather, put together some very tenuous thinking on it  ;D
or does anyone think I'm in the completely wrong time frame and area please  :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
My rather tenuous thinking is that I searched for weights that might have the same green and red colour millefiori in them.  And that also have the 'bundle' of green canes with white centres that can be seen in the tree.

The green is quite yellow and the red is quite tomato/orangey and it didn't seem to be the same colour as many  weights I came across.
Then I happened on a paperweight that was suggested was Silesian that seems to have the same green and bundles of canes.
http://www.paperweights.pl/Bohemian-draft.pdf  (see Type III Silesian? header page - it's quite a long way down the presentation)

In the same presentation there was a Josephinenhutte glass made of red filigrana canes that again seemed to be the similar red.

And lastly there was a lovely photograph of the Josephinenhutte factory with a brook running through the trees.  That scene made me think of my weight.  My tree looks more like one of those than an apple tree.

But then did Josephinenhutte do this kind of weight?  I wasn't sure.  That led me on to maybe Weisswasser?
It does have some similarities with Weisswasser weights.   But I wasn't able to find a good match to it in the end. 

m

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
As is usual I am no use in helping ID this but if you want to take a good close up use a good Magnifying Glass. You might take ten shots for one good one but it works ok. The bigger the lens the better from my experience. (I have had some really interesting shots that would have made good wall art.)
Pete. :-)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks Pete :)
My camera has good magnification and I've taken shots through a magnifying glass but in all honestly those pics above are as good as it gets.  The glass is old(I think) and bubbly and the canes are all in bits so very difficult to see.  But they are there.  It looks to me as though many of them are bundles of canes with a green exterior and white interior and many others look like they are chopped up bits of green and white cane roses possibly.
The red ones have white streaks in them I think.
Of course I could be completely wrong, it might be a battered brand new Chinese weight for all I know. 
m

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People

I don't recognise the design, but I think I'd go for the relatively modern Chinese option......it really does not look like anything like an old Bohemian weight to me. That siad, it could be from a small modern glass studio in many countries, playing around with designs. 

I know of no evidence for Josephinehutte or various Silesian factories making this kind of thing.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks Alan  :)

this is the link to the page I found - there is one weight in the left hand column that is made of frit and has three layers. 

http://briefbeschwerer.kulturpixel.de/artikel/99_Briefbeschwerer_Paperweights_Lausitz_Schlesien_Sachsen_Brandenbu

the pic I've added is one of it slightly looking down on it so the tree looks in leaf. Unfortunately it's damaged (fortunately got a discount when it arrived) but I love it and didn't want to send it back  :) 

m

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Hi m

I'm familiar with that website, and have both of Peter von Brackel's books, and I am still not sure that your paperweight is from central Europe somewhere. The style is certainly similar to some of the weights shown, but the Chinese do copy other people's designs - and the yellow, red and green glass within looks very similar in colour to that in many Chinese weights.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand