No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Wanted  (Read 4796 times)

Offline Dougie Forsyth

• Members
Help Wanted
« on: April 18, 2006, 07:44:05 AM »
I inherited from my mother a glass bowl which she received in the 1940's. I was only a kid at the time but understand that it came from a Mr Ysart as thanks for some assistance my mother had given him - we lived in Perth at the time. Is there anyone in New Zealand who can advise on this bowl - approx 8-9 inch diameter, 4 in deep. Green/orange mottle colour.
Thanks
Dougie F

Offline Kiwi Bill

• Members
Help Wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 08:36:14 AM »
Hi Dougie,

I live in NZ and willing to help if possible, but if you could post a picture on this site for all to see, I'm sure the more experienced collector would
help with your enquiry.
My private email address is attached see below.

Regards

Gangster098
AW (Bill) Smith

Offline Dougie Forsyth

• Members
Help Wanted pics
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 10:28:21 PM »
Thank you Bill for your kind offer of assistance. Being an oldie in my 70's I am not too familiar with all computing actions but I have posted pics of this. to my bagpipe site at http://communities.msn.com/bagpipeman in the pictures section under Glassware. I hope you can access this OK.
Thanks again - I will also send pics to your Email address
Dougie F

Offline millarart

• Members
Help Wanted
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 11:15:42 PM »
Hi there,
                your bowl looks very much like Vasart glass made by the Ysart family, the colour and pontil look correct for this glass, bu ti coould be wrong but im sure im not,  hope this helps
                     Gary
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Help Wanted
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 08:07:05 AM »

Offline Dougie Forsyth

• Members
Help Wanted
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 08:56:07 PM »
Thanks to those who advised on this - my sister advises that "Old" Mr Ysart delivered this to my mother on Dec 24, 1945.
Dougie F

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Help Wanted
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 11:12:37 PM »
Dec 24, 1945
Well, that means it was not Vasart - 9 months too early :!: Could this be evidence of a "Vasart" shape actually being made by Salvador at the Moncrieff works?

Or could it have been Dec 1946?
KevinH

Offline Dougie Forsyth

• Members
Help Wanted
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 11:22:12 PM »
Definitely pre Christmas 1945 as we then lived in the same area as the Ysarts and we moved to another region in March 1946

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Help Wanted
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 10:42:05 AM »
In which case it is Monart shape X, interesting that this shape is evolving from the Monart to Vasart form. I show two variants of it here http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/Page01vary.htm

But because of the date of this piece it makes it rather special. It would be properly classed as a one off special - it could well be that Mr Ysart (Any idea which one?) chose the colours to suit your mothers taste, so let's give it a name "The Forsyth Bowl" and I would like to add it to the Monart specials page along with it's story. http://www.ysartglass.com/Ysart/YsartSpecial.htm could you send me some larger images please? Preferably on a plain light background :-)

It is rare to get a piece with a good date of manufacture and as we gather more such examples it will be invaluable for future research.

The caveat is not going to add much to its value but it would put it in the higher price range for such a piece as collectors would be quite keen to handle it.

Not everyone approves of my naming individual items but it does provide a focus for the pieces place in history and makes referring to it easier.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Help Wanted
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 05:46:06 PM »
In which case it is Monart shape X
Another thought, but just speculation on my part, is that maybe Salvador (or Paul?), in the initial desire to get back into Monart production after the war, started to develop some variations on the old shapes?
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand