No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: HI SUE ( CHOPIN LISZT ) a Michael Harris question please  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Morgan48

• Members
HI SUE ( CHOPIN LISZT ) a Michael Harris question please
« on: April 19, 2006, 06:58:27 PM »
Hi Sue :D

You know those IOW paperweights with the foot and often have Michaels signature on...well do you know if this was the reason for the foot and would ones without his signature be attributable to him or simply was it a place he found to place his rather elongated script on.  :roll:

Cheers

Gareth

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline archiveIOWSG

• Members
    • http://www.isleofwightstudioglass.co.uk/index_1.html
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 11:05:27 AM »
Hi Gareth
Hope you don't mind me helping out on this one.
The pad on the bottom of the paperweights was simply part of the design, Michael Harris's signature had no influence over the design. On other items that had no pad or a large enough flat base his signature would curve with the piece.
Dave

http://www.isleofwightstudioglass.co.uk/Discontinued_Ranges.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 11:40:14 AM »
Hi Dave

No absolutely dont mind at all... I think Sue has gone off for a wander around the Highlands... will send out a search party if she's nae back soon.

Many thanks for the info as it was something I wasn't quite sure about and probably influenced by not having seen his signature on anything else.....back to that little knowledge being a dangerous thing  :roll:  :?  :roll:

Regards

Gareth

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 11:45:37 AM »
:D:D:D

Hello Gareth - The proper expert got here first! The one with real information  8) rather than gut-feelings, speculation and Lesley Jackson :oops: !

I'd have said that the foot was just part of the design too.  :D
Michael Harris did not sign things often, only when asked to, as far as I know, so putting a base on for a signature would never have been part of the plan.

I see you posted while I was writing  :D - ah'm no awa i' t' heelans, ah'm awa tae pot wi' ha'en owerdone 't past weekend, i' Harrowgate. :roll:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand