No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Baccarat goblets? ID = Val St Lambert  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Elizabeth1212

• Members
Baccarat goblets? ID = Val St Lambert
« on: February 20, 2013, 09:05:34 PM »
My first impression was Steuben, but no mark, then Baccarat came to mind. They came from the estate with lot of EAPG and ABP, etc.
They are beautiful, ground pontil, heavy glass ( goblet weights a pound)  with that very nice bell sound.
All your help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Baccarat goblets?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:24:43 PM »
Hello Elizabeth :)        I don't know necesarily why Baccarat should come to mind (or Steuben for that matter), although of course it could well be French - but as a shape this was made in several countries, and could date anywhere from c. 1800, and possibly even into the C20.       If it was early then you might expect the colour to be a little less bright than C20 glass and you should have the sort of wear that would be appropriate for a period piece.          Although you don't give an indication of size, I'd suggest your glass is a rummer (possibly an incurved bowl), and as I say indications of age would depend on wear, colour and striations in the upper half of the bowl - also possibly on thickness/thin-ness of glass).
Can't see too clearly in your pix, but as you've indicated lead glass then the bowl decoration is quite possibly slice cut (although might be moulded) - if cut then you should find feint grinding marks on the bowl decoration - although you might need a pocket lens to see these.

Rummers (nothing to do with roemers) were a common European shape of drinking glass that typically have circular shaped feet, with square moulded feet like this found less commonly.

I understand that C19 Baccarat pieces frequently had a paper label, thereafter the backstamps were acid etched.........with both label and acid marks showing the 'stem + decanter + tumbler.           However, can't imagine paper labels from the C19 surviving intact on a glass like this.

If this does have a ground/polished pontil and rings well then very unlikely to be pressed glass.

Sorry this is not conclusive of any specific date or manufacturer, but drinking glasses are prone to remaining without provenance, frequently - especially in the absence of marks.
However, a nice glass, and very typical of a rummer, so congratulations  -  and really up to you to decide whether it is period or a much later copy. :)

Ref. 'Miller's glass fact file a-z'  -  Ivo Hanstra - 2001.

Offline Elizabeth1212

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 03:31:46 PM »
Thank You Paul.
I also posted on Ebay message board,  and they were identified as Val St. Lambert "Gondole" pattern, water goblets.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 04:12:30 PM »
Glad to hear you have a positive attribution Elizabeth.............do you have an indication of age - would be interested to know if you do please. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 08:08:42 PM »
I can see the Val St. Lambert 'Gondole' pattern on the Replacements Ltd. web site.........appears to have been in production in the 1950 - 60 period.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand