No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Beautiful Victorian Carafe... I think?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline pegwellbayantiquities

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass & ceramics
    • united kingdom
Beautiful Victorian Carafe... I think?
« on: March 09, 2013, 05:46:09 PM »
Hi all, from the research I've done on the dimpled body and crimped spout on this carafe I've placed it in the Victorian era. Would anyone be able to give me a manufacturer, more precise dateon the piece and also tell me about the significance of the '36' and the 'w' shape on the spout? All info would be greatly appreciated :D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Beautiful Victorian Carafe... I think?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »
The 36 indicates it's a decanter missing its stopper, which would also have been numbered 36. If you mean the marks in the necks by the W, i think they are just striations in the glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
    • glass & ceramics
    • united kingdom
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:09:53 PM »
ahh i see thus deeming the stopper for carafes and decanters 'rocking horse poo' so to speak :P would you agree with me on its age? i've seen quite a few expensive examples of glass this age with this pattern.. so here's hoping!  ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 07:44:02 PM »
trefoil shaped pouring lips seem to be associated with the art nouveau period - somewhere near the end of C19 and on towards a little before the 14 - 18 war  - French possibly in origin of design.
Don't know whether the rest of the decanter might be the same design origin though - seeing the stopper might have helped perhaps.
Do people think this is a dip moulded pattern - then blown to expand, with the foot being added afterwards.        The Victorians were very keen on their machine etching, wheel engraving and cutting  -  but this moulded design looks almost as though it owes more to the likes of Webb in the first quarter of the C20.            Seems to have a very larg pontil depression.
In fact there was a Webb pattern from the early 1930's with an identical 'fir cone seed' pattern  -  when you say you've seen a few expensive examples of this pattern, might one of those have been Thomas Webb?

• Members
    • glass & ceramics
    • united kingdom
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 09:24:09 PM »
Haven't looked at any thomas webb, any chance you could post a picture of what you're referring to my friend? Yes the pontil is very large, in fact almost as large as the base of the whole carafe! This does have a hint of the nouveau about it but the dimpled pattern does appear in alot of victorain examples, perhaps its late victorian early edwardian?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 10:33:26 PM »
regret I don't possess such a decanter, unfortunately - it was a book image only of which I was speaking, and I can't copy that.    I'd suggest that the examples you've been looking at are, as you suggest, very late Victorian/Edwardian.               You may have difficulty in progressing any sort of attribution much further  -  I take it that there's no sign of a backstamp of any kind.         Do the digits look Continental, or very British  -  there is a difference in the style of script which sometimes is noticable. 

• Members
    • glass & ceramics
    • united kingdom
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 08:37:04 AM »
Ahh fair enough, i was just asking on the off chance :P No sign of a backstamp but as shown in picture two the '36' is quite neat and swirly - what this indicates i'm not quite sure!  ::)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 09:35:56 AM »
I have the same and always thought it to be Webb , i also have a large one :-[ probably holds a couple of bottles , i will dig them out later . I do believe Paul has it about right tho .
Just remenbered i have a set of glasses same pattern marked Webb but they didnt come together and slightly brighter glass . I think .

• Members
    • glass & ceramics
    • united kingdom
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 03:27:40 PM »
Ahh i see, we might have a development for this piece, i just examined it with a better magnifying glass and found this etched mark next to the '36' on the rim, it looks like a 'W' and looks intentional due to its harsh direction changes making me think that this is not just an age related scratch, does this help anyone out with an ID?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 03:53:47 PM »
almost certainly nothing intentional  -  just part of the wear and tear of the history of this piece, unfortunately.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand