No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walther Edinburgh Bowl  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Neil

• Members
    • 1st Half 20thC Pressed Glass
    • Glen Iris, Melbourne, Australia
Walther Edinburgh Bowl
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:45:24 AM »
I would like to share with collectors a recent acquisition I made of a bowl I have not seen for sale, so assume it might be a rarity.
The WorthPoint Price Guide site, to which I do not belong, indicates that a Blue one was sold on eBay on April 17, 2011.
This would explain why I did not see it or bid for it in 2011, as I was on the other side of the world checking out the remains of Hadrian's Wall and Birdoswold Roman Fort near Carlisle, that day.
I recognised it immediately when I saw it at an antique centre in suburban Melbourne, as it has been on my 'To Acquire' list for at least 3 of the 4 years I have been collecting glass.
I was surprised to find one at all, in Australia, and was expecting to look for one at the Lincoln or Newark fairs in June, this year, as part of my travels around England and Wales.
If other collectors have a version of this bowl please let me know. Perhaps someone could tell me how much it might be worth. Mine is in excellent condition.
I placed a taller Pelikan centerpiece, with extra rocks under the birds, and a standard frog, in the bowl. This gives it enough height and presence in the bowl. In the 1936 catalogue it does show one with a Viktoria frog, but I tried one  in it, and as the bowl is not quite circular, it does not sit as well. The catalogue dimensions indicate the bowl was not made as an exact circular bowl.
I hope you enjoy the accompanying photos.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand