No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Exceptional Colored Cut Glass Goblet. U.S. Val. St. Lamert, Baccarat?  (Read 769 times)

Offline cutglass7273

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
.   Colored cut glass in most cases is so hard to distinguish between European and American glass.  The two biggest cut class companies in Europe in the early 1900's were Baccarat and Val St. Lambert.  Both The U.S. and Europe cut  some of the  some patterns on clear beautiful blanks.  Also, Europe supplied many blanks to the U.S. as their blanks were perfect.  Many American  collectors have no problems having European cut glass in their American Brilliant Cut Glass collection.

My first instinct is American  Sinclaire........But, the color is odd, Dorflinger did the odd colors thru the years and they did have cutters who had home shops. Could be from a cutter from Dorflinger thru a limited production not for a wide distribution. But then, there is a third theory. And I think it is my strongest suspicion. I tend to think it is Bohemian. We have had several over the years, that have thought to be American, but turned out to be European. We have two really good examples on our Ruby Lane site that you'd think were US depression era cut glass but are not.

The piece is about 6" tall and was bought in the U.S. which I stated  above means nothing as thousands of pieces of European cut glass was shipped to the U.S.

We would love to have picture proof on the piece which I am assuming is going to be impossible.    Thanks for working on the beautiful goblet. 

Sincerely, Mark. Colorado, U.S.A.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Exceptional Colored Cut Glass Goblet. U.S. Val. St. Lamert, Baccarat?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 05:26:01 PM »
There are a few more than that. Saint-Louis, Moser and Villeroy &Boch jump to mind, but also Ajka, Paracin and several makers in Russia and the Ukraine. Thee must also be 3 or 4 makers in Northern Bavaria, so plenty of choice.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 05:46:43 PM »
Someone please educate me a bit...
The thread title and first post mention Baccarat and Val St. Lambert.  I've never seen either of those that were not signed.  Same with Saint-Louis and Moser that I've come across.  Are you saying that they made unsigned 'blanks' that others cut?...Or that they cut on someone else's 'blanks' that were not signed.  I'm not quite sure I understand.

As to the goblet, my first impression was Bohemian but it doesn't look like the typical green flash (looks thinner) cut pieces I see.  This one is beautifully designed and executed.  Good luck with your search.
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:53:03 PM »
I have a completely unmarked Sam Herman for VSL vase.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 07:39:22 PM »
Vsl tableware is almost always unsigned; Baccarat may sign one or two in a full service. Same as the others, really.

Offline cutglass7273

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 08:19:01 PM »
The blanks that were sent to America were never signed.  After years of research it has been found that only two companies sent cut glass  America.  VSL, and  Baccarat.  The others companies mentioned here do not figure in to this search.  Our company Straus, was well know for using blanks from Baccarat .

Yes, American Co's cut some colored glass from Europe.

Sorry this is confusing.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 03:34:15 AM »
My gut reaction is Dorflinger, however there were others that cut to color including green...Clark, Libbey, Bergen, Hoare, Straus (which you named) & Empire to name a few so its a tough one to pin down unless you can search pattern books for each one. Boggess has a nice 32 page section of color cuttings for the above companies that starts following Pg. 212. God only knows what Hawkes may have done since they were also buying blanks from Baccarat. Not sure about Sinclaire though as Sinclaire was all about engraving far more than cutting, thats is one reason he left Hawkes even though he was the #2 man to Thomas Hawkes & designed many of the Hawkes engravings. Hopefully you will find an answer.

Offline cutglass7273

• Members
    • USA
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 05:58:07 AM »
Thanks OHIO......We have gone through most of the American companies With out any luck.  So for now I will just have to do more work on this.

Thanks all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand