No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Artist Identification Assistance.  (Read 858 times)

Offline Relzad

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Australia
Artist Identification Assistance.
« on: March 30, 2013, 05:00:13 AM »
Hello, I am a new person to this forum.

Recently I have been collecting opalescent glass intermediates and coupes and rebuilding lamps using the original glass and modern or scavenged materials. Its a hobby.

I have been drawn to the beauty of a particular crafter, who signs his pieces as EZAN France.

Through a few internet searches, and even a seach of this website, it shows that many people know of Ezan and can clearly identify his work.

But I have been unable to find out exactly who EZAN was, there is no internet biography that I have stumbled across. Is Ezan actually a person, or is it a studio name, or company?

Please forgive me if I have missed finding this information on this site through my initial searches. But I would would love to be pointed in any direction of websites etc where there is biographical or historical information on the origin of this crafting.

Thanking your kind wisdom and knowledge in advance.
Rel.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Artist Identification Assistance.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
Hi welcome to the forum  ebay number 251246062246 will show you a piece with a little info . the seller may know more . Very little info other than they were based in Ezanville near or part of Paris so I imagine thats where the Ezan comes in .  :) JP
I also found a little bit about them on rubylane.com but it seems to be guess work .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Relzad

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 05:06:26 AM »
Thanks John,

Using those leads, I teased a bit of extra information from the web.

Ezanville is a safe bet to be the site of the factory where Ezan glass was produced, however Ezan is most likely not to be a real person, but a "brand" or "style" of glass that was produced there in the 1930s It is thought that some of the moulds from this factory ended up in other more well known makers hands and were modified by them in their own continuing craft.

The fate of the Ezanville glass site is unknown to me. But it is likely that whomever worked there contributed to the lovely opalescent blue icicle glass we have today.

Thanks and I'll keep searching. If I turn over any new discoveries I will post them. If anyone else has a lead or data to share please feel free to do so, no matter how tenuous.

Regards
Rel.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Relzad

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 12:15:41 PM »
Interestingly some subsequent information to this landed in my lap via some ebay searching. While not verified from a primary source, it is at least something.

A few items signed as "Frontisi" mainly frosted glass wall sconces have appeared on ebay.

They refer to Frontisi as a craftsman that worked at "Maison Ezan" (house Ezan) in 1938.

http://www.achille-antiquites.com/art-glass/frontisi-pair-of-sconces-art-deco-1930_2448_uk_D.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-French-Frontisi-Geometric-Deco-Moulded-Glass-Sconces-Wall-Lamps-Maison-Ezan-/181154553538?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2da71ec2

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand