No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Hobbs? Windows Opalescent Barber bottle  (Read 760 times)

Offline mlredmon1973

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass
    • United States
Hobbs? Windows Opalescent Barber bottle
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:54:15 PM »
Hi I am new to the forum and thank you all for having this forum! Love it! 
I hope someone can help me on this bottle. I bought this from a lady that was selling it as a coin dot opalescent vase. It is clearly a barber bottle and I am very sure it was made by Hobbs as the Window pattern. the only one documented in this bottle is in cranberry opalescent. I cannot find one like this white opalescent windows bottle any where.
I have looked on ebay time and time again and googled this bottle just everywhere and this is the only one I can find. You can tell this is very old and in mint condition. When I bought it , it was very dirty but a nice cleaning made it beautiful.
Is this a rare bottle, if so does anyone know any information about it?

Thank you for anyone that can help
Mark

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Hobbs? Windows Opalescent Barber bottle
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »
You will probably have to wait for Sid to verify its Hobbs, but my opinion is that it is Hobbs. Many of the supposed Hobb's Cranberry Windows bottles are actually either 50's Fenton or L.G. Wright & Fenton made those for Wright anyway, however the fact that yours is simply straight opalescent without color leads me to believe it is Hobbs.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 06:24:23 PM »
 :)

Welcome! (I bet Ohio just got so interested in your glass he was completely distracted from noticing that you're new. )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »
:)

Welcome! (I bet Ohio just got so interested in your glass he was completely distracted from noticing that you're new. )

True...sorry about that but I was focusing on the piece.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 07:25:57 PM »
I'd need to take my socks off to help me count the number of times I've just launched into the glass and forgotten to say "hello" to a newbie. I only noticed here, because I can't comment on the glass and was just reading for interest.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline mlredmon1973

• Members
    • glass
    • United States
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 08:52:28 PM »
Thank you so much to Ohio & Chopin-liszt :) for your help! Thank you for the welcome both of you.
I just cant seem to find another one like it, I know Hobbs has some very rare items out there but just not sure.

Thank you again
Mark

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 12:22:11 AM »
Mark

Welcome to the board! 

Looks like a Hobbs shape to me, too.  Although collectors have long used the term Barber Bottle for this type of bottle, in the old Hobbs catalogs they are called a Bitter which implies bar use.  If cranberry opalescent examples are known, then the existance of blue and crystal opalescent should also be anticipated and you have proved that out.  Regardless of the colour, this is a great find as these are desirable pieces.

Sid

Offline mlredmon1973

• Members
    • glass
    • United States
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 09:27:37 AM »
Thank you Sid for the welcome!  Glad to be a part of the forum.
I have to say you are probably correct I just seen one blue one just like it in a old auction catalog on line. In a older opalescent book a friend of mine shared with me last night they have this bottle listed under hobbs Window pattern and give the category for colors under blue, white and cranberry opalescent but the only value given is for the cranberry opalescent.

So looks like the blue and white maybe the harder colors to find. Thank you so much for your help and I wonder what kind of value this bottle would have?

Thank you
Mark

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »
Values are incredibly subjective, so they're not something we really discuss here, I'm afraid.
Your best bet would be to find something similar on auction sites and wait to see what it goes for - or check completed auctions - then remember that for every bit sold that the highest bidder is no longer in the running to push bids up...
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand