No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Couple of weekend finds - multicolor bowl and swan PW  (Read 685 times)

Offline Tripp31

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
Couple of weekend finds - multicolor bowl and swan PW
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:00:18 AM »
Thinned out a few pieces this weekend at a local community yards sale and managed a quick once over through the lot. Snagged a couple of items to hang onto (GF had been wanting a swan and seems to be digging this one!). I like the bowl.  Different dealers on totally opposite sides of the lot, but the only two items to catch my eye.

Bowl appears handmade and possibly Murano, but IDK. A similar swan is currently on Ebay with "possibly Murano" in the vague description, but no real info.

Bottom of bowl has a polished circle indent, presumably to hide pontil mark. Bottom of swan is smooth.

Any info as to origin or "style" of glasswork would be great!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Couple of weekend finds - multicolor bowl and swan PW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:27:24 PM »
I like the bowl :) sorry I've no idea where it's from but great design.

I don't know about the swan - it's quite difficult to tell from the photos - is it two swans?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tripp31

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian/Art Vases
    • United States
Re: Couple of weekend finds - multicolor bowl and swan PW
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:09:10 PM »
The swan may be a goose? Anyway it appears to have two heads - A Mutant! HaHa.

GF says it is a mother and baby, or mate, connected with the colored base. I picked it up because it really appears two headed and was dirt cheap. At first glance, the hue of colors seem match those in the bowl. While the color mix is very similar, careful comparison in daylight reveals slightly different shades.

I'm pretty sure they are not connected and the swan is a likely a mass produced piece.

The bowl on the other hand appears to be a quality hand made piece, maybe a smaller studio? While it could be Italian I guess, It doesn't *feel* like the few decent Murano pieces to cross my path. The pontil grind looks too clean for example. I simply haven't seen enough Murano to even guess.

I rigged a two tier display by replacing the middle shelf with a glass pane. A small desk lamp sits below the bowl and bottom lights it.  Setup sits in a dark corner and looks ultra cool at night!

Thanks for reply.......If anyone has seen a similar bowl, please advise. This board has been a great source of info and hopefully someone can chime in. Glad to provide any info/photos that may aid, but I'm guessing someone will recognize the style eventually.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand