No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: An unusual Bryant & May advertising piece by Davidson, Rd. No. 96945.  (Read 6744 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: An unusual Bryant & May advertising piece by Davidson, Rd. No. 96945.
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 10:44:20 PM »
Thank you for showing this latest Davidson/Bryant & May rarity.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 11:05:30 PM »
twas Christmas Eve in the workhouse...................         I must have been asleep in 2013, as I don't now remember this interesting thread.

Worthy of commenting relative to Bryant & May, is that the year of Registration of Davidson Rd. 96945 (1888) was by coincidence the same year as the industrial action by the match girls at B. & M. in the east end of London.
Not the first time these girls had resorted to striking to resolve issues such as working conditions, pay and of course the infamous 'phossy jaw' that could afflict those who handled the dreaded stuff, and which went under the more technical name of phosphorus necrosis - a problem that continued into the C20.              Various current media outlets tell us that we now have relative poverty  ...............    try reading contemporary Victorian accounts of working conditions, social deprivation and what was often a short life-span, particularly relevant to the B. & M. working conditions, and then say we have poverty in the U.K. in 2017.

For those who might not know, Rd. 153858 mentioned by Andrew, is dated 02.08.1890.

Fred - as far as Rd. 96945 is concerned, I take it from what has been said that this Registration was protecting the pressed design only, and not any particular shape?

If you would like copies of the TNA Davidson factory drawings of 96945, 153858 and/or 176566 - assuming we don't already have them - do shout and I will include these on my next visit to Kew.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 10:32:38 AM »
Thank you for the interesting historical background to the B. & M. industrial action, Paul.

The design registration details for RDs 96945, 153858 and 176566 are already pretty well detailed online at
http://cloudglass.com/r18671890.htm
and
http://cloudglass.com/r18911900.htm
and I  will try and make sure that the links are added to the revelant entries on the GMB RD database.

Fred.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 08:01:54 PM »
I saw this Bryant And May piece today at the Fountains Antique Centre, Honiton (didn't buy it). It had a different dish pattern to the two shown, a close knit basket weave style.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand