No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A handled Threaded piece. Maybe Nailsea, but really out of my wheelhouse.... He  (Read 998 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I got this today at an estate sale. It was the last day and it was still sitting on the table. Half off on top of it all.

This is really not my style of glass, but it reminds me very strongly of pieces of glass I see ID'd  as Nailsea.

So I have a couple of questions about it.
1) Exactly what is it?
2) Who made it?

Aside from the pulled loop style of pattern in the glass itself, the lower and upper portion of the bowl exterior are covered with a machine threaded exterior. Below the applied rigaree it appears to be a Vaseline glass thread, but it does not fluoresce under UV light.. Above the rigaree it is obviously pink in color. The clear crimped rigaree and feet have the same pattern.

It measures 4.75 inches in diameter at the widest point and 5.5 inches to the top of the handle. The bowl rim is 2.5 inches tall.

Answers to any questions greatly appreciated.

TIA
Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
That's lovely Ken. Not Nailsea though but probably Victorian English and for sweetmeats or similar. One of the less well known glass houses I would guess. I've never seen one with a centre handle. It has resale value I would say. I have a load of similar things but mostly for preserves and designed to sit in metal handled stands. (The search is a bit broad but it brings up what i want)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
or even Craig :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Well they've both got grey hair and live in the USA. Sorry Craig  :-*

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Not my fields, but is it probably worth looking into US production because of that centre handle?  ;)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Thanks Christine......   by the way.... I shave my head....  but if I had hair it would likely be partly gray.   ;D

I can't speak for Ken though....

Craig

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I know Ken has grey hair and I do know you have a grey beard... :-[

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
OK for the record this is me. Christine was being kind on the Gray hair though. I wear a ballhat 95% of the time because my hair turns snow white if exposed to the sun & its bad enough when ladies in their 30s start opening doors for me at 67. Oh the reason for the flannel shirt? Last night we had frost & its May 13th...welcome to Ohio weather although it will be 80 by Wednesday.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
OK... Here you go....  One pic of me taken this weekend....  and yes Christine... gray beard....   ;D

Offline Littleblackhen

• Members
    • South Yorkshire
    • The Glass Lady
Hi Christine

When I click on your link to similar things, I am just getting a blank page.  Is the link broken?

Thanks

Janet
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Glass-Lady/552453431473856

Check out my facebook page for my current stock available at Elsecar and The Sheffield Emporium.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand