No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: probable 'Graniver' by Leerdam.  (Read 2984 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: probable 'Graniver' by Leerdam.
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
That looks very similar to the one that Pamela mentions... I looked through sucriers on French eBay and found another two there 
So it does look as though at sometime, the French had these moulds... They also mention that the glass is Moulé which sounds like the rough texture that Paul describes.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 10:29:18 PM »
I think that means mold made  :-\ ?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 10:34:05 PM »
thanks m and Rosie.            Does that look like an opaline colour - and is opaline used for pressed pieces?  -  I really don't know.          Pamela has already discussed the Portieux production of these honey pots yesterday, and there is an opaque white Portieux example on the Pressglas-pavillon - also what appears to be a very similar design (on the same site) in clear, from Streit.

However, I'm now being troubled by some additional aspect of Graniver versus Colopal - which in fact Ivo had previously mentioned - but which we seemed eventually to have dismissed.           I understand that Colopal is simply an opaque coloured glass, with a surface which is uniformly smooth - whereas Graniver has a variable, slightly pitted and gritty surface texture, and is known to show a mixed marbled/swirled appearance  -  both effects caused by partially melted distinct, small, granules of glass.

I think that Ivo was correct in his final change of mind to Graniver - based on the quite noticable textured/gritty surface - and it's possible that to date a uranium example of Graniver hasn't been recorded.

I'm led to believe that the names of these two types of glass are derived from:   'COLoured OPALascent', and 'GRANules of VERre'.

I wish to record my sincere thanks to Jay at Hogel and Shoeve in NL for helping me to better understand the difference between these 'types' of glass, and supplying information.         I had overlooked to tell Jay that although Ivo had originally suggested Colopal, it was eventually thought that the surface texture made it more possibly Graniver - and there may well be as yet un-recorded colours of Graniver, including uranium. 
So - it's likely then that this is Graniver, and my thanks to the experts, as always. :) 

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 10:37:31 PM »
Yes,  you are right m, it does mean moulded,  I assumed it meant milled, and here is me having French lessons!!  I have a long way to go!!  :-[

I have always found Jay very helpful and friendly with my Leerdam questions,  I am so pleased he was helpful to you Paul.  :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 10:42:09 PM »
Just looking at the Vallerysthal version versus Paul's original photo, the bee on the body above the little doorway, is in a different place.  So different molds.
And yes, Paul's looks more granular in appearance than the Vallerysthal green one.

Clearly a popular design whoever designed it as I've also seen a Crown Devon (pottery) one in a similar design.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 10:49:02 PM »
French lessons eh!!  -  and here's me thinking this was the GMB ;)         thanks Rosie for the off- Board suggestions - Jay is indeed a very helpful guy.
I'd agree that this basic design appears to have been made on several Continents, and over a long period of time  -  there must have been a lot of moulds doing the rounds!

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 01:07:13 AM »
thanks, Paul, for detecting the Streit honey on my pages, however, I did not mention that one because its bowl is more a woven '----/ 4.1 basket which makes it easy to attribute  :)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 03:36:17 PM »
another very recently acquired uranium example - this one from the French factory Vallerysthal (name is in relief on the bottom of the inside) - and which is a match for Pamela's 1908 catalogue picture, shown a little earlier in the thread.
Similar in many ways - most noticeable differences being the re-positioned bees, as mentioned by m, and the fact that the French factory haven't made provision for a cut-out in the lid for a spoon.
A little damage, but othewise a good example of a fairly early design, although I've no idea for how long this French pattern was made.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
and a final pic showing the Vallerysthal glow.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2013, 04:05:10 PM »
they are so gorgeous they are almost edible Paul!  fabulous  :)
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand