No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help to ID a glass please.  (Read 443 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Help to ID a glass please.
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:55:58 PM »
Using my ipad again so hope this works. I don't know why I like this but as usual it caught my eye then couldn't find anything about it. It is about 12.5 cm high. Facet cut stem with 'thumb print' and oval cuts on the bowl. The foot is quite flat with a concave part about 2cm wide and what looks like faint tool marks at the centre. I think it has been ground and polished but am open to correction with any and all terminology  ;D

P.S.  where or who turns the foot rim under nowadays ?  Strange question I know but have some wine glasses with this feature.
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help to ID a glass please.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »
Hello Pete  -  regret to say that it might take a lot of time to find a maker - assuming no marks.        You might try the Replacement sites, but there have been a lot of glasses made over the years - it might be anywhere from 80 to 140 years old - wear might help to suggest whether simply old or lots of old.       Printies/punties, the name given to the ovals/circles were a common Victorian form of decoration, and won't really help.      Probably a quality glass in view of the pontil depression.         Might be a champers glass, or perhaps a large wine/hock perhaps.

Re the folded feet  -  these were a feature of drinking glasses prior to c. 1760 - and helped to strengthen the foot rim and prevent chipping.
If you have some we'd be very interested to see them, and don't forget to give dimensions and let us know their origin, every bit of information helps.
However, like so many older pieces, there are modern copies, and I believe there are some very good examples still being made.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand