No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Very UNIQUE Antique 19thC Piece of Art Glass...HELP ME IDENTIFY PLEASE!!!!  (Read 591 times)

Offline YAYA117

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • ID'ing Unknown Glass
    • USA
We have come across this very unique piece of glass. It is signed, but no matter how hard we try, we can't identify the name. This is a 19thC 3-piece wafer construction compote, and the painted tree is not reverse painted, or painted on the top...it is like in between the glass. The surface of the glass feels like satin or frosted glass...have you ever seen anything like this??!??!? Would love some information!  thank you all in advance!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Hi, no idea who made it, but the signature looks to me like it might be "Montanoso" which is Spanish for "Mountainous".  Not that there are many mountains in the scene!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Hello and welcome to the board. It reads Montanoro and you can see another piece here:
www.papilio.cz/en/archiv.php?aukce=a19&pol=5357 and here:  www.artfact.com/auction-lot/grosse-vase-large-vase-541-c-968765a04e (links are possibly the same vase).
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Hi and welcome from me too! :)
I don't think you are correct in saying it's a 19th century piece - that would put it in the 1800s.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline YAYA117

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • ID'ing Unknown Glass
    • USA
Thank you guys so much!!!! We assumed 19thC because of its construction.....I still haven't been able to find any other piece except the one you just linked me too but at least we know the signature and that it is Bohemian/Czech. Thank you all so much!! If you find any other pieces please let me know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand