No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czechoslvakian female centre piece  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Czechoslvakian female centre piece
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:14:12 PM »
Pamela shows a clear pink/amber coloured example here.....    http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/tafelaufsaetze/05209.html    which is attributed to simply 'others' from Bohemia/Czechoslovakia, and I've been through the Skl Union CD but don't see anything more.      It's a well modelled figure which includes the candle holder, plus the two holes low down in the back.         I'm assuming the holes were for electrical fittings possibly.        Fairly sure there are three mould seams, and height is about 7.25" (185mm) 
Does anyone know any more about this piece - perhaps the date and possibly factory  -  thanks for looking. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Czechoslvakian female centre piece
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 02:27:51 PM »
could be wrong but appears this one has found its way, via a charity shop, to ebay - and is listed as a 1930's lamp base from the Walther factory - it is identical right down to the location of the imperfection.           

On Pamela's glas-musterbuch there is a seated nude with candle holder showing on page 16 of the 1935 Walther catalogue........http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Walther-1935-Sonderangebot.22.0.html  ........although it differs a lot from this one and the eaby listing, neither of which are a match for the catalogue example.

I can't see any other seated nude lamp bases from Walther in any of the 1930's catalogues - or in the 1925 or later ones.        Perhaps, in view of the range of Walther figural centre pieces - plus the roughly similar 1935 seated nude - an assumption has been made, but from what I can see the ebay listing is not Walther.

Is anyone else aware of Walther seated nude lamp bases that I might have missed. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Czechoslvakian female centre piece
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »
I've had some discussions with the seller of the ebay example (which is in fact the actual piece shown here), and they've now agreed to amend the description and have removed the positive attribution to Walther.       

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand