No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian Persian jeweled enamelled gilded vase - shaded pink-clear-green glass  (Read 1773 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
This is a good quality piece.  Could it be  Harrach or Moser?
Blown into an optic ribbed mould, the ribs can be seen looking at the base.
Polished pontil mark and lots of natural age wear around the base.
Firepolished and crimped rim.

Five 'Persian' panels enamelled in dark grey/blue.
It has 25 cut faceted jewels and beads on it.

The glass is pale peachy pink at the base fading to clear in the middle and then onto green at the rim.    I've seen marked Moser pieces in both this particular shade of pink fading to clear and also green fading to clear. I've not found a Harrach piece using the pink fading to clear but have seen green to clear.  It's not marked which makes me question Moser.
Wide gilded band unusually still mostly intact around the rim.
Orange enamelling which can sometimes mean gilding has worn off but Harrach pieces can be found (c 1890 ish) using this particular shade of orange enamel (see link below as an example where the blue vase has this orange enamelling - I've also seen it on flowers on Harrach pieces)- I think this bowl was entirely decorated in the orange enamel with gilded outlines in the first place, and not that the gilding has worn off.
http://www.madforglass.es/Harrach/Harrach977b.html

Any thoughts on whether it can be attributed to a particular maker at all?
Many thanks :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
There is nothing remotely like it in the Rose bowl book - but a rose bowl it is, so it was either made in Bohemia, in England or in the US.  The style of enameling is not very Moser, so you are probably looking at Harrach. The date would be around 1885.

Question is, is it a normal size or a miniature (under 3")

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks for looking for me Ivo :)

It is  just under 3" at 2 3/4" high by 3 3/4" wide.
I suppose the large one in the picture below isn't technically a rose bowl  ;D but it makes a good picture.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
That would make it european, according to the book.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I would speculate that the yellow was gilded, even in the example you linked. Gilding really doesn't seem to adhere well in the long term to the yellow stuff designed to raise it. Unraised Bohemian gilding lasts much better. Don't forget these have been washed and dusted for many years and there would have been no durability testing

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hi Christine

It's possible you may be right about the gilding since it has gilding outlines around the enamel.  Also the enamel 'claws' they have made for each jewel would represent those on a ring.  I have now found another example of a tall vase that I believe was the same maker and this is all gilded but on a completely green body, not with the graduated peach/shell pink-clear-green.  The descriptor of the vase says it has black panels, mine are blue grey definitely not black but could be seen as black I suppose, and the body of the vase is a different colour. It's attributed as Moser of course  ::).  I think it's the same maker.

Although I now think it might have been gilded going on the reasons above, it's also possible my vase was never gilded and was just given the gilded outlines - most Bohemian enamelling I've seen has an outline around each section of enamelling, sometimes gilded outlines.

The enamel is orange, completely definitely orange :)  not a trace of yellow, mustard, ochre, umber etc, just plain orange   (I've attached a photo compared to the Orange logo lol, but it also matches my Carlo Moretti orange vase etc).

This is a colour that is used in Bohemian enamelling and isn't always gilded.  I've seen it on pieces in my books as well, it's a colour used quite a lot in colourful  enamelling on dark green glass and blue glass bodies.
Example of Harrach using this orange here
http://www.rubylane.com/item/518922-213ne-1/Fine-Antique-Harrach-Onyx78-Persian
and example of Lobmeyr orange including the yellow mustard colour and also a red as well, so the comparison can be seen - my orange is the same as the orange dot, not the yellow dot.
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2012/arts-of-the-islamic-world/lot.661.lotnum.html

One question I have is how they would have done the peach-clear-green effect in the glass? 

Dating it, I think Ivo's probably right : 
Jeweling is something that seems to have been popular from the 1850s and I've found examples dating from then to the 1880's in my books -   
- examples of Neuwelt jewels in the red,green and blue on one vase and other examples from Neuwelt, date range 1857-1868 Das Bohmische Glass Band III pages 57-59
- example of Meyr's Neff for Lobmeyr  ‘before 1885’ page 166 Glas des Historismus- Spiegel
But the enamel panels are Persian in style and this type of decoration was popular especially on for example Marmorierte vases which date to c.1885-1910 (source Truitt’s Bohemian Glass 1880-1914 page 86).  In that book there is one Marmorierte vase dated c.1900  page 86 no 4 where the enamelling is very similar to my rose bowl.  Maker is unknown but I think it is possibly Harrach.

On balance, I agree with Ivo, I think this was probably made at Harrach.  I think it was possibly destined for the Russian market. I've not checked out whether it might have been Russian made - is this likely given the shape?
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
The US was rose bowl country, Russia was not.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
so probably not Russian made. And possibly destined for America?
Thanks Ivo :)
do you know how they would have made the orange to clear to green effect?
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Or even the UK - there are plenty to be found here. I'm confident your orange (yes I've seen orange under gold too) should be gilded - you wouldn't just outline in a fine gold line. The idea was to be flashy, not subtle

most Bohemian enamelling I've seen has an outline around each section of enamelling, sometimes gilded outlines
That's rather a generalisation and not true in my experience
This is a classic example of missing gold
http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=564

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://www.antiquecolouredglass.info/images/Moserjug.JPG
ooh lala!  and bingo  ;D
listed on Andrew Lineham's Antiques site.

full page here http://www.antiquecolouredglass.info/Moser%20Glass.htm
jug listed as Moser c1880
and next to it a claret jug from the same range.
and here also a posy vase with the orange enamelling
http://www.antiquecolouredglass.info/images/Moserorangevase2.JPG

this one sold at Bonhams and the glass graduates from red to clear on this
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19608/lot/87/

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand