No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chinese oval bowl? I.d request  (Read 574 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Chinese oval bowl? I.d request
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:30:21 PM »
Your help is needed on this bowl.  I have carried out various searches and unable to find any information.   I thought it could be Chinese but tbh I would only be guessing.  I can't recall seeing a polished pontil like this on Chinese glass though. The base of the bowl that meets with a flat surface is small and shows signs of ware and measures only 4cm dia.  The pontil measures 2cm dia.  The area around the pontil is very pitted and shows marks of a grinding tool. only on one half of the area.   The slightly curved green lines that cross are not something I have seen before.   Within all but one of the green lines (1cm wide), there is a trail of air pockets going in the same curved direction.   The bowls measurements are: H 7cm  W 7.3cm  L 9.2cm.  The mottled pattern around the bowl appears to be on the outer part of the glass within the inner area of the bowl.  The mottled colours are more vibrant on the inside as appose to the outside of the glass bowl area.  I'm hopeing this all makes sense ::).  I am now thinking, that the glass was blown and then pushed inwards into a cast to form the, not only the shape but another layer too.   I'm hopeing someone can describe how this bowl was made, as I am uncertain.  Thanking you in anticipation. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Chinese oval bowl? I.d request
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 06:07:41 AM »
I don't think your bowl is Chinese. It is too subtle and rather nice. It's almost certainly hand made and free blown. I don't know where you live but going to see a glass blower in action or even watching on the Internet would be really helpful to you in understanding how glass items are made.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 07:22:54 AM »
I think your bowl is Chinese and relatively recent. 

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 03:19:46 AM »
Hi Ivo, I'm intrigued to know your reason.  This could help me narrow down, during my currently ongoing investigations.  Have you seen anything similar?  You mentioned that it maybe relatively recent.  I'm not too sure of that, as the base does have clear signs of genuine ware, like other pieces I do have that has age and has been confirmed.  Please note, this is not in anyway to underminding your expertize on glass, but however, to provide you with as much detail as possibly.  Christine seems to think otherwise and It would be interesting to see what her thoughts are now, that is, since your comment.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 06:47:50 AM »
I have an almost identical bowl - circular with folded up sides. It has red circular murrines against a clear background, and a perfectly finished bottom which includes a polished pontil mark and flat polishing.  I have seen vases and bowls in that same pattern on a market some time ago and they had barcodes - obviously Chinese.
The piece is in storage and I cannot find the picture anywhere.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand