No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help identifying this goblet style wine glass  (Read 363 times)

Offline samsamsam

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Please help identifying this goblet style wine glass
« on: June 14, 2013, 09:06:23 PM »
Would love any info on this glass, and where I could find more of the same.

Thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Please help identifying this goblet style wine glass
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »
hello and welcome to the GMB :)

Regret I can't tell you where to buy more - am assuming this is a fairly modern drinking glass.         You don't comment on the origin of this one - so presumably no help in that direction.
Generally, glasses made before the C20 have distinctive features that can tell much as to their age and origin etc., but more recent examples often lack these signs and your glass may be from almost anywhere, and assuming it is modern, then it's not possible usually to comment specifically on its provenance...........having said that, it's always possible that your glass may be from a known C20 designer, and might be recognisable in some way.     Perhaps someone here might recognize the glass. 

With older glasses, often the single most telling feature can be the foot  -  what does the underside look like - does it have a snapped pontil scar - or a ground/polished pontil depression  -  or, as is likely with this one, perhaps neither of these, just a smooth machine made finish.
You should find definitions of these terms on the GMB search facility - and you can read a lot there about drinking glasses.
Always very useful to also give the height of the glass, and to comment as to whether this is of lead glass or not (i.e. does it ring well if flicked).

Sorry to seem unhelpful - however, if I'm wrong and your glass has age, then perhaps you might provide additional description, and we can then offer possible suggestions  -  you might have reasons for believing this example to have some age.
Obviously, pix the right way up are preferred, and you might care to give details of the origin of this one. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Please help identifying this goblet style wine glass
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 05:28:22 AM »
Looks like it is a Holmegaard glass - almost certainly by Per Lutken.  Probably the "Jęgerglas" pattern.  See in http://www.hardernet.dk/ under Per Lutken as a designer and the years produced were 1974 to 1990.  You will see several examples hopefully one will be the right size.  If not I suggest you send the photo to Peter Harder at that site and he will be ab;le to give you a definitive answer.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand