No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tall (possibly) crystal vase with cut atomic star pattern -- maker?  (Read 788 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Hello,

I bought a rather odd-looking vase (or perhaps very tall beer glass) and am hoping someone will recognise the maker.

It's 31cm tall and 10cm wide at the top. The top part is ruby red and has an atomic-style star cut into two faces. The base is flat, with no markings.  When tapped, the piece gives a pleasant ring. 

It weighs 827g.

Thank you for looking,
Anik

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
Re: Tall (possibly) crystal vase with cut atomic star pattern -- maker?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:16:20 PM »
I like it.  Great beer glass.   ;D

The color and cut seems just a bit odd to me for a vase.  I wonder though if it was to fit a candle?  It does have a Mid-century/Danish Modern style about it.  Hopefully someone will come along that recognizes it.   
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »
Thank you for your comments. A candleholder did not occur to me... I think the 'stem' is too long and impractical for a candle. Not only would it be impossible to clean the wax out, but I imagine the heat from the flame would shatter the thin glass. (But I think it would look rather attractive with a lit candle in it, at least for a few seconds.)  :)

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 02:11:02 AM »
To light up a reasonable area the candle would be best positioned above the table.  They are not very heavy so unlikely to unbalance the glass item.

Thin glass is much less likely to crack than thick glass - the heat evens up quite quickly by conduction, whereas thick glass gets the full gradient with the enormous attendant strain. Hence you can wash drinking glasses in warm water without any real problems but you will have seen many, many jugs where there is a crack around the base of the handle.  This is because the thicker glass can not even out the temperature gradient quickly enough and the strain cracks the glass.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 04:49:40 AM »
Hi Ross,
When I was a young teenager, I bought my mom 2 glass tealight holders. They looked like drinking glasses and were about the same thickness of the piece above.  They both exploded at dinner time.

I'm not saying my piece isn't a candle holder, however, I do think it would be a very impractical one. A person would need a mighty long candle, and the wax which would build up at the very bottom would be impossible to clean out.  Then again, it is a rather silly shape for a vase, and much too big to be a beer glass.

Hopefully someone might still recognise it :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand