No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Oval Enamelled Glass Vase -Possibly Bohemian - Moser / Harrach ...?  (Read 728 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thoughts please.

Enamelled oval shaped clear glass vase, decorated with bees and flowers. Sits on three applied feet. The rim has been cut and polished with very slight bevelling.

Measures 7 inches tall and 6 inches wide.

My initial thoughts were perhaps Moser or Harrach....?

Many thanks,
Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Oval Enamelled Glass Vase -Possibly Bohemian - Moser / Harrach ...?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 10:51:17 PM »
The shape has some similarities with a vase on page 55 of Truitt's Bohemian Glass 1880-1940, no 3.  But that one is round and has a taller neck and isn't flattened .. ;D but really it does have similarities and has the three little feet like yours, which I'm sure I recollect seeing on other Harrach pieces as well.  Harrach also liked their oval flattened type shapes.  So it's possible the blank might be Harrach.
The decoration reminds me of enamel work, in terms of the style and the colours of the greens on the leaves, that I've seen on tumblers id'd as Fritz Heckert.  So maybe the decoration could be Harrach or Fritz Heckert perhaps? 
I've not managed to find anything signed on quick searching, to definitely match but those are the options I'd explore. 
Please could you possibly put a very clear close up of the decoration of the insects on as well?  I'd love to compare them with those on a jug I have but need clear very close close ups?  Many thanks if you have time.
It's lovely btw - I would have liked to have found it :)
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:36:03 AM »
Hi M, many thanks for taking a look.  :)

Thanks for the pointers, they certainly seem to echo what I have looked into thus far. I did come across these Heckert enamelled tumblers, in the link below, I presume these are possibly similar to the ones you have previously seen..?

http://www.mikeweedonantiques.com/newsite/stock/glass/bohemian/frizhecher/fritz-hecker-fh-t-002.htm

I'll keep on searching along these lines, to see what else turns up. Out of interest, would you happen to know if Fritz Heckert produced much unsigned enamel work..?

On the subject of enamelling, here are some close up pictures of the insects for your perusal.  :) Looking at them close up, although similar, interestingly, they all bear slight subtle differences. If you would like any other pictures, just let me know.

Many thanks,
Greg
 :)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:19:42 AM »
I recently received an email back from the Passau Glass Museum regarding this item, which I sent through a few months back. I had forgotten all about it until the email arrived!  They confirmed the vase was produced by Josephinenhütte in Schreiberhau around 1890.  :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:29:50 AM »
Wow that is excellent news - well done.  Did they say who did the enamel work though?
I'm obviously very very curious because it bears similarities with my gigantic enamelled jug.

My jug was made by Harrach but they could not confirm who enamelled it.  It was made for a specific company which was also a manufacturer(!) but that company was not Fritz Heckert (I don't think Heckert were operating as a manufacturer at the point my jug was made) and it was also not Josephinenhutte.
I suspect Heckert for yours and mine for the enamelling :)
m

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 09:52:47 AM »
Thanks M.
I had wondered about the enamelling, the email just confirmed the vase was by Josephinenhütte. I have asked if they can tell me anything further regarding the enamelling, so will let you know if I hear back with any news.

The closest comparisons I have seen to date for the enamelling work have also been Heckert.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand