No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Aqua Bubbled Tumbler - Unknown  (Read 1329 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Aqua Bubbled Tumbler - Unknown
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 05:44:50 AM »
But the colour looks right doesn't it!

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 05:49:44 AM »
I think these tumblers are actually made in India.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:10 AM »
I agree with Paul. Looks like recycled Egyptian glass.

Mexico made lots of this ware as well.

I think these tumblers are actually made in India.

Oh deary, deary me!   This looks like a difficult one to ascertain any real concreate evidential fact.  It also makes it difficult with ambiguity thrown into the works, even though they may be genuine reasons for your thoughts and of course, it doesn't help when they are no clear markings.    I'm just at a loss with this one  :(.  Looking on the bright side.  I still think it's a fascinating piece  ;).    Hopefully from the information gathered, Ross will be in a better position to rule out the likely possibility of it being a TL piece.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 09:43:23 AM »
Never mind Otis  -  this is all the fun of glass collecting. ;D

Your ISBN reference seems to be correct Otis - it's Charles Hajdamach's most recent volume - C20 British Glass  -  although obviously it covers the U.K. only, but essential really if you have the remotest interest in British glass.

As with his previous book, this is again too heavy for a single volume, but publishers save money where they can I suppose.         Attached pix of my copy which eventually cheesed me off to the point where I'm now re-binding to make two volumes.           One volume already resewn, with supports - and the other waiting to be sewn.               New marbled endpapers - probably unsuitable - but any port in a storm - and the brown paper waste sheets helps to protect the text block until the end papers are pasted to the boards, when the waste sheets are torn free and thrown away.                         

If you don't have this book, I'm sure there are 2nd hand copies on the internet for not too many shekels, and it really is worth the money, and when you do get a copy you'll be able - hopefully - to see the difference between period bubbles and modern bubbles ;) :)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »
Thank you ever so much Paul, for such a little piece like this, can cause controversy amongst the group.  Oh well, like you say. It is all part of the fun  ;D.    I will definitely look into purchasing his latest book, as I do also think it will help me have a better understanding.  Sounds like that book you've got will cost more in postage, judging by the size and weight ;D.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »
may be of interest to add this small piece from this morning - a shape which I've seen before, and which if seen at a market or fair might be assumed to be much older than it is.                                 Almost certainly of very recent manufacture, and probably of middle eastern origin.
A lot of mostly smallish bubbles and the odd small seed/stone, but lacking any age related wear.          Nice colour though. :)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »
For reference I can confirm that your little blue piece is recently out of Egypt.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »
many thanks  -  I was unsure as to which country, but assumed it was from that general area. :)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 11:25:15 PM »
may be of interest to add this small piece from this morning - a shape which I've seen before, and which if seen at a market or fair might be assumed to be much older than it is.                                 Almost certainly of very recent manufacture, and probably of middle eastern origin.
A lot of mostly smallish bubbles and the odd small seed/stone, but lacking any age related wear.          Nice colour though. :)

Thank you for adding this to my post and highlighting how easy it is to be mislead.  I've just purchased a lovely little glass vase today.  It took me a while to consider whether to buy it or not.   I'm finding it hard now to make direct choices, especially knowing what I do know now  >:(.    I suppose, looking on the bright side, if you like it, then go for it!  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand