No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Aqua Bubbled Tumbler - Unknown  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Aqua Bubbled Tumbler - Unknown
« on: July 05, 2013, 11:42:35 PM »
I'm just fascinated over this little glass tumbler purchased earlier today.   It's made up of more air pockets than glass!  It's irregular in shape.  viewing from front on elevation, the sides are at different lengths.  Straightion lines are also clearly visible, that is, under magnification around the glass and base area. The curved dia. rim base apparently has notches that are roughly equally spaced, something I have not seen before on  finished pieces.  The thickness of the tumble is approx. 0.2cm.   You can actually feel the air pockets externally and internally.   I've looked at some of the past threads relating to bubble tumblers, but still uncertain as to the origin of this one.  Any help appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Aqua Bubbled Tumbler - Unknown
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 08:22:59 AM »
just possible it might be recent production from the middle east :-\

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 02:08:51 PM »
Just reminded me why I steer clear of glass I think may have made North of the border Paul.

Chris

Offline NMott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 05:12:08 PM »
I agree with Paul. Looks like recycled Egyptian glass.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 07:04:21 PM »
Mexico made lots of this ware as well.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Recent, I'm enclined to agree with, as there is no signs of ware to even call it vintage.  A very attractive piece though in my opinion.  Since on display in my cabinet has definitely shown a lot of interest. It's a shame that a lot of these types of tumblers are difficult to identify when you read past threads.   Thanks for your help all the same  :).

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »
I think there is (certainly in the U.K.) a more than average amount of interest in this type of bubbly glass, Otis.         If you look at the chapter in Hajdamach, for example, he devotes quite a lot of ink to this type of glass, much of it produced in the first half of the C20, and some of which is very desireable.            Possibly the variety seen most frequently is Walsh 'Pompeian', which does turn up not uncommonly, and ironically does exist in a blue very similar to this piece.
However, I don't think that any of them have a 'stub' type of pontil scar like yours, and the glass is usually far less strongly populated with bubbles that can be felt.
If you can find a piece of 'Pompeian' you'll see the difference - and which in any event is a good way of learning about similar but different types of glass :)               

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 10:10:55 PM »
Had a good search on Mexican glass and not entirely convinced I should be looking in this direction, but want rule it out and thanks all the same. 

If you look at the chapter in Hajdamach, for example, he devotes quite a lot of ink to this type of glass, much of it produced in the first half of the C20, and some of which is very desireable.            Possibly the variety seen most frequently is Walsh 'Pompeian', which does turn up not uncommonly, and ironically does exist in a blue very similar to this piece.
However, I don't think that any of them have a 'stub' type of pontil scar like yours, and the glass is usually far less strongly populated with bubbles that can be felt.
If you can find a piece of 'Pompeian' you'll see the difference - and which in any event is a good way of learning about similar but different types of glass :) 

I was unaware of Popeian Glass and Charles Hajdamach until now Paul.   Would this be the book your are referring to: ISBN-13:  978-1851495870.   I think this is his latest book.

Just to let you know, Ive got the small glass bubbled dish that has less bubbles, mostly elongated in shape and without the protruding scar.   I will have to post it now.   Hoping it might be Popeian glass  ;D.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 02:04:54 AM »
Well Otis, I am going to suggest you examine the base very carefully for a scratched TL.  It could even be on the pontil mark itself.  That bubbled blue glass is so like what he used in Melbourne years ago I was astounded.  The bottle has a TL on the pontil mark itself and another signature I can't figure out.  The decanter is fully signed - Tom Levkovski.  He was a glass tutor at Monash(Caulfield) glass school for many years.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 04:09:11 AM »
Hi Ross,   there is some form of markings, but not something I can clearly see, even under magnification.   I think my eyes are now trying to project characters onto the pontil area  ;D.   It could be that they are just tool marks left sometime after the rod was snapped off. Probably during the polishing process?  The marks are fairly indented and a lot darker than the colour of the glass.  I've tried cleaning these particular area with a none abrasive nylon brush, thinking it might be grime, but tbh I don't really think they are the markings by Tom Levkovski.   I was able to view the signature within the GMB user gallery and can assure you that I am unable to find anything like that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand