No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: stuck on a signature - anyone recognise this John please?  (Read 721 times)

bfg

stuck on a signature - anyone recognise this John please?
« on: July 09, 2013, 09:34:33 AM »
researching a little studio glass vase. A bit more modern than my usual glass... late 1990's

quite fine script

got the John but cannot for the life of me make out the second name. Hoping it will be glaringly obvious to someone who can point me in the right direction please.

cheers 
mel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

bfg

Re: stuck on a signature - anyone recognise this John please?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 05:53:19 PM »
gentle bump in case any weekend visitors havent seen the sig :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 10:37:30 PM »
I can't come up with a name that reveals any search results but wanted to suggest the 98 might be a 78.  Seems odd that he would make a block 9 when everything else is so fluid.  A 7 with a slash is not uncommon.

Also, a picture of the whole vase may be helpful.  Your location is not listed.  Do you have a part of the world you think a likely origin?  If in the US SD could possibly mean San Diego or South Dakota (but could mean a lot of things I guess.)
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 05:28:26 PM »
It is always helpful to show an image, or images, of the actual piece when trying to decipher a signature. This is because if someone is able to recognise the work, they may be able to decipher the signature, or at least identify it in the case of those of us with "doctor's" handwriting!
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

bfg

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 08:40:26 PM »
thanks both cubby and aa for replying

yes, it doesnt look like a quick ID is forthcoming, glad its not just me who cant decipher it!

I will get the light tent out tomorrow -  it is a shiny convex beast that reflects all its surroundings including the camera and me so was hoping not to have to inflict that on you all

@ cubby  yes, I'd agree it could be a 7 rather than a 9 and is in sunny south of England

cheers
Mel

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »
For me it looks like the number would be 98 as the strike across for a 7 does not go through the upright bar.

The signature also looks like it could be three names with a short centre name. Could be John or Johan possibly.

Sometimes the longer one looks the more confusing it actually gets  :-\

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 07:42:25 AM »
it is a shiny convex beast that reflects all its surroundings including the camera and me so was hoping not to have to inflict that on you all

I edit my shiny bald bonce out of photos if need be, I usually leave any reflection of the camera alone though. :D
The retouch function within Picasa works a treat for that.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand