No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Burtles and Tate yellow opalescent glass small swan - rd impressed back to front  (Read 3009 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I bought this this morning  :) very intense bright yellow colour , very opalescent and uranium glass.
It's 3 1/2" long so the small version I believe.  I've seen this size advertised as a salt.  Is it does anyone know please? The curious thing is that the rd number has been impressed back to front on the base?  Is this normal?  How would that happen? wouldn't the rd number be part of a mould?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
It's not that strange for a reg. no. to be done that way, even when a mould is used. It can be read from inside the thing.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I suppose the back to front issue re the Rd. No., depends on how the mould was made.          I always bring to mind the picture in Raymond Slack's book of that ancient looking guy who is shown cutting a mould  -  but maybe he didn't cut the Rd. No. on that piece.           In the same book Slack includes a diagramatic illustration of a mould of a pressed-glass salt cellar - for a swan, c. 1860  -  although unfortunately he doesn't give details of whose mould.
I've got three of these small slightly opalescent swans - probably salts - although none carries a Rd. No., so probably more modern C20.    Mould lines can be detected/felt down the birds head and neck, but presumably fire-polishing has removed any other seams  -  fire polishing was a necessity on many of these pressed pieces.
I get the feeling, that of the pressed glass I've seen, the vast majority of Rd. Nos. appear in relief, and the right way round, so back to front I'm sure is in the minority, so presumably there was a specific reason for those few which were back to front.   
I seem to recall that the words 'GRACE DARLING' on the stern of the Sowerby boats - whilst on the inside - need to be read from the outside, otherwise they also appear back to front.

The question is were the Nos. created at the time of casting the mould, or might they have been impressed later by the use of hardened steel die stamps.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
sorry, meant to say your swan is a good find, very nice piece by the way :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
The very bestest of any glass swans, (IMNSHO)  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
apologies for the error.............. the GRACE DARLING boat is Rd. 39414, and pressed by Edward Bolton, not Sowerby...........who did do walers but without the legendary motif. :-[

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks Sue and Paul :)

The reg number is raised on the base and done in the mould I'm certain.  I've just double checked pics of another for sale that's  the same small size, and that also has the reg number done this way round -  the larger pieces have it the right way round.
I suppose it must have just been the way the moldmaker did it as I can't think of any apparent reason why the smaller ones would deliberately have it the wrong way round.  It struck me as curious because the mold of the swan is amazingly detailed and intricately made, so I wondered why the maker would have done it I suppose.  She's really pretty, but from a bit of searching it appears I really needed to find the elephant  :o
I noticed something when I was photographing the swan, she has beautifully done eyes.  So does the elephant.  I wonder if it was the same mold maker - clearly a very talented individual with a good eye for detail.
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
quote................."She's really pretty, but from a bit of searching it appears I really needed to find the elephant".............we'll start a collection for you ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 thanks  ;D
m

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Found me one, too :D

White version with lovely opalescence. My (by far) oldest piece of glass up to date.
It is 12 cm long, and the Reg. Nr. is impressed the proper way.

Cannot compete with m's Uranium yellow beauty, though :mrgreen:

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand