No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Drinking glass I am sure, but fried said 'nice candlestick' - now I'm not sure!?  (Read 324 times)

Offline meltdown

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • crystal / cut glass
    • United Kingdom
Hello there,

I am hoping that somebody could tell me the use for this glass.  I was all ready for it to be a drinking glass, then a friend popped around for a glass of wine, picked up the glass and said 'nice candlestick, have you got a pair?'.

I am now wondering, please, could somebody tell me if this is a candlestick or a glass?  I was adamant that it was a glass, I even pointed out the grapes around the outside to my friend, but after a glass or two of wine it seemed as though it could still be a candlestick, candle holder.

If it is a glass, what wine would it be used for?  Dessert wine?

I hope that somebody can resolve the riddle and hopefully give the right answer back to my friend, who was hoping I had a pair as she rather liked the idea of having candles in them.

Thank you

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Hi
           You have noticed the grapes and grape vine leaves so this indicates its for wine and most probably for some of the fizzy kind.

Cheers ,
                  Peter.

Sorry !!   forgot to say hello and welcome  :(

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline meltdown

• Members
    • crystal / cut glass
    • United Kingdom
WoW, That was a fast reply! 

Thank you Peter.

I do think that this would be a mean glass for the fizzy variety though, I did forget to mention the size and in the photograph it really does perhaps look larger than it really is.

It measures 10.5 cm tall, 7cm rim, the bowl is 5cm deep at a push.

I'm not sure how old it is or the maker so I can't search to find out what it would have been used for.

One gulp from me if it were full and it would be gone in a flash, fizzy or not!!!!  LoL

What do you think?  Still fizzy?  Perhaps if were for 'toasting' then maybe?  I really am not sure.

Thank you again for the speed reply xxx

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Hi ,
           Unless some other ideas emerge,which is very probably, I reckon it  probably is for slurping some champers or such like ,expensive stuff lol and larger glasses let the fizz go too quick,as for age I don't think it any great age unless a pontil mark of some kind is under the foot which may help to date it more accurately,as to who made it I have no idea but others here may well recognize it.

cheers,
          Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline meltdown

• Members
    • crystal / cut glass
    • United Kingdom
Peter thank you,

You know what I'm going to do?  I am going to buy a nice bottle of bubbly at the w/end, invite my friend around, use my own 'cocktail' glass I have for me (and maybe a straw :-) and giver her this glass to drink from and show her your message!!!!

I'll also give her a box of candles.

I'm so pleased that I can show her in writing what it isn't even though I can't exactly pinpoint what it is (i.e. give it a 'name')!

Thank you again Peter.

xx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand