No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: JK Inwald of Inwald UK & Davidson Glass  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
JK Inwald of Inwald UK & Davidson Glass
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »
I thought folks might like to see this super photo of JK Inwald, who worked at Davidson Glassworks. JK Inwald was the grandson of Josef Inwald, founder of the Josef Inwald A.G glass company.

The photo came from the Inwald family descendants and is shared with you with their express consent.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: JK Inwald of Inwald UK & Davidson Glass
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:29:44 PM »
thanks Anne  -  something completely unknown to me, and I don't think there is any mention of this guy in the Stewart's book on Davidson glass (unfortunately the book lacks an index, but I've had a quick squint at the Mayers/Jacobean section without seeing a reference to him).           Was he resident in the U.K. for the remainder of his life, or did he go back?

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 06:31:10 PM »
I'm not sure if he is mentioned in the book, Paul, but he is known of on the board. Adam Dodds knew him. It seems from what I've managed to piece together so far from official records, and from talking to Adam and to a member of JK's family, that JK (he was Josef Karl but always known as JK apparently) came over to run the UK end of the Inwald business. He was certainly in London in the 1930's, and then at the outbreak of war Inwald UK was wound up and JK applied for, and was granted, British naturalisation.

JK served in the Home Guard in the north-east whilst working for Davidson's, and at some time he married a French lady (I'm unsure of when as yet), and as far as I have been able to ascertain they had no children.  JK moved from Davidson to work for the gas board (the glassworks were at the time, according to Adam Dodds, probably the gas board's biggest customers, so employing someone with the knowledge and connections to look after the glassworks accounts would make sense.) He stayed with the gas board until his retirement.

JK died in Ponteland in 1987 and his widow moved back to France, where she died in 1995. I am slowly gathering the story of the family, and have supporting certificates and photos for much of this.

JK's naturalisation papers in the PRO were locked for 100 years from the date of issue, but I have succeeded in having them unlocked as he has no surviving spouse or children. If you have a spare half hour or so next time you go to the PRO and want to take a look at them (I have the refs), they may throw some light on why he was so speedily naturalised. Inwald, of course, created  toughened tumblers pre-war, which Davidson then made during and after the war. It doesn't take much imagination to surmise that JK brought that knowledge with him, and that it got him the job with Davidson's.   8)

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 06:36:19 PM »
Thank you for all the info and efforts to gather them, Anne!  :-*
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »
much appreciated Anne - thanks again.                      I will try to come back re the matter of looking at records quite soon.

I have some of the 'CRYSTOLAC' toughened clear tumblers from most of the early 1940's  -  the exact year of manufacture can be decyphered by looking to see how many dots there are at the bottom underneath the word CRYSTOLAC. :)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »
Thanks Dirk, it's been a fascinating wee project. :)

I have one too, Paul. Mine dates to 1951. Apparently there were several different patterns made - it would be interesting to try and gather images of them all into a reference topic, along with copies of the adverts for them.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 09:49:24 PM »
Just been to look at Chris Stewart's Davidson website (rather than the book) and found one mention of JK Inwald there, where Chris says, "Toughened Tumblers were a lifesaver for the Davidson Company during the war years. At the end of 1939 J K Inwald joined the technical staff at Davidson’s and his first assignment was to develop production techniques for Toughened tumblers." http://www.cloudglass.com/History.htm

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 10:33:22 PM »
Fascinating history Anne. Thanks for sharing it!
Nancy

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 08:19:15 AM »
I intend to visit Kew some time in the next 7 days or so Anne, and will look at this matter if you let me know the Kew references - either off Board or here, as you wish. :)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 04:19:54 PM »
Thanks Paul, I've sent you a (rather lengthy!) email with the references etc that I have for this. Fingers crossed it helps. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand