No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dimpled Wine/Water Glass Webb ? Whitefriars ? Walsh ?  (Read 558 times)

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
Dimpled Wine/Water Glass Webb ? Whitefriars ? Walsh ?
« on: August 02, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »
A problem Glass that is said to be any of the 3 above. Mine is 11.5cm high and 8cm diameter with the outward curving lip. Good ping but feels delicate in my hands :o confusion remains after following link after link and lots of images  :P.  it has a small convex 'Pontil' mark
Pete. :-)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline stevejl

• Members
Re: Dimpled Wine/Water Glass Webb ? Whitefriars ? Walsh ?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »
Pete,
The prominent bun / cushion at the base of the stem suggests to me that this is less likely to be Whitefriars / Powell (whose glasses more usually join directly into the foot), but I wouldn't care to pick between Webb & Walsh.

Cheers,           Steve L

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 03:22:39 PM »
hello Pete - sorry, not a clue as to attribution...........from your description, would appear that this glass wasn't finished on a pontil rod, hence we'd not refer to your bump as a pontil mark.     Only by finishing on a pontil rod, do we get either the pontil scar or, as is more often the case, a ground/polished depression in place of the scar.
Toward the end of their lives, some of the bigger names like Webb and Stuart did finish their glasses in what was presumably a quicker and more economical method of production  -  as opposed to older traditional method of using a pontil rod  -  which was more labour intensive.
Assume you've tried all the Replacement sites.

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 09:39:54 PM »
Did replacement site till eyes burnt. I saw a few similar online, some oics are terrible, but none had a definitive answer.  Very nice glass, came with two Deceptives, a standard glass and a really nice decanter. The stopper sadly has a chunk missing so I might get it cut straight as the decanter is really nice and heavily cut.

Offline stevejl

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 09:54:57 PM »
Pete,
I remembered a further source of info which might give us an attribution. In the Glass Assoc. Journal from 1997 is an article from Lesley Jackson - "Whitefriars Lookalikes". That has photos from both the Webbs and Walsh catalogues showing this particular glass (and range). From the photos I would identify your glass as Walsh Walsh - from what they called their "Venetian Suite" range. It has the same proportions as your glass, where the Webb's range are a little narrower/taller in proportion.

Hope this helps,             Steve L

Offline petet63

• Members
    • Crystal Art Glass
    • UK
    • My eBay Sales
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 11:30:31 AM »
This site continues to amaze ! Thanks Steve. It's a nice glass that sits nicely in the hand. From a box lot. Fragile so surprised its in one piece. I will look into Walsh Walsh, again, thanks.

Pete

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »
Could Steve let us know if a pic. of this pattern is included in Reynolds book (with page No. etc.)  -  would be interested to know - thanks :)

Offline stevejl

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 07:17:54 PM »
Paul,
There's a photo of this range on page 32, fig 85, although it doesn't identify it as "Venetian Suite". There may be further identification in the pattern book entries later in the book, but given their scale of reproduction I'll leave that to you      :)

Cheers,                Steve L

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 08:36:52 PM »
thanks Steve  -  I did see the page you mention, but in the absence of the correct description, wasn't sure that was the design you were speaking of.          Anyway, now I know - thanks.
quote......................"There may be further identification in the pattern book entries later in the book, but given their scale of reproduction I'll leave that to you"..........              no you won't  ;D ;D  -  at least not today...........I've stared at those many times before, and if ever there was a set of headache inducing images, it's those ;).     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand