No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thomas Webb & Sons Limited comport, lozenge for 19 October 1867 – Parcel 4  (Read 3660 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A blown clear glass comport (actually one of a pair) with a plain circular dish or shallow bowl, and a hollow bulbous stem or pedestal supported on three applied reeded scroll feet. Polished pontil mark to the underside of the stem engraved or etched with a registry date lozenge for 19 October 1867 – Parcel 4. Just over 5 inches tall, with bowl rim diameter 6 inches.

The date lozenge corresponds to a parcel of four registered designs (RDs 212674 to 212 677), all shown on page 270 of Mervyn Gulliver’s “Victorian Decorative Glass – British Designs 1850-1914” (Schiffer Publishing Ltd, USA, 2002).

RD 212674: Designs for a handle, pouring spout and feet;
RD 212675: Design for a shell-shaped prunt matching the designs in RD 212674;
RD 212676: Variation for the connection of a handle to the top of a jug shown in RD 212674;
RD 212677: Design for an applied circular prunt matching the designs in 212674.

The only registered design feature on this Thomas Webb comport would seem to be the feet (RD 212674), though the scroll bends outwards with the curve opposite  to the curve of the reeded attachment (giving a reverse ‘S’ effect) whereas the foot in the registration representation has the scroll bending inwards to give more of a reverse ‘C’ effect.

Fred

Offline keith

• Members
What an unusual shape,very nice piece,great find, ;D ;D

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Another blown clear glass piece by Thomas Webb & Sons Limited which bears the same registry date lozenge (19 October 1867 – Parcel 4).

This time, a covered bowl on a plain circular foot with a short stem. Approximately 6 inches high with the lid / cover on , and 6 inches wide across the handles. The registry lozenge is engraved / etched on the polished pontil mark on the underside of the foot.

In this case, the scrolled & reeded ‘feet’ from RD 212674 have been used upside down (and with domed embellishments) as handles on the side of the bowl, and joined together to form a looped handle for the lid or cover.

Two ring prunts from RD 212677 (somewhat distorted into shallow ovals) have been applied as decoration to the bowl sides.

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by bxhscl).

Fred

Offline keith

• Members
Why can't I find pieces like these? ;D ;D

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
In retirement, Keith, I am able to lead a relatively unencumbered sad and nerdy existence. I don't even have a TV, so when others in a like situation are settling down to daytime TV or becoming emeshed in the day-to-day dealings of the various eveing TV soaps, I choose instead to trawl the internet for pictures of little gems of the Victorian glassmaker's art (especially if they are from registered designs). It is then only a matter of seeking the appropriate copyright permissions before showing them on the GMB for the delectation of others. I have neither the desire nor the money to own them, and certainly no space to display them.

I think these are really super pieces, especially with such clear authenticating registry lozenges and, of course, the design representations to compare them with. They really deserve to be in the Broadfield House collection.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to find something similar in coloured glass?!

I shall continue the search in the hope of finding something else along these lines to report on the GMB.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
quote....................."when others in a like situation are settling down to daytime TV or becoming emeshed in the day-to-day dealings of the various eveing TV soaps"...............           surely, people here are far too intelligent to waste their time watching soaps - aren't they? ;)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
I'm not sure that intelligence necessarily enters into it, Paul, more a matter of inclination.

Fred.

Offline keith

• Members
Not sad or nerdy,I'm also in 'retirement' sort of,do have a large collection of sci-fi films but not soaps,wish I had more money and space for glass and other things,would settle for plain glass in these, ;D ;D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
They're exquisitely made aren't they?  and agree, they should be in Broadfield House.
m

Offline keith

• Members
Or in my house, ::) ::) ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand