No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Assistance required please - Glass Compote  (Read 856 times)

Offline BrocasVennerWheeler

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • A wide spectrum of vintage!
    • UK
Assistance required please - Glass Compote
« on: August 18, 2013, 04:57:53 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm struggling to identify a Glass compote that I recently acquired. It's beautiful when the light hits it and I don't think that the photo I've taken does it any justice. As glass is not my strongest area with regards vintage items, I'm wondering if anyone can assist in giving this piece a country of origin and hopefully a maker (I've scrutinised the glass, but cannot find a mark or name)

The textured pattern and the colour is underneath the bowl and in between, it's frosted. The pedestal is a clockwise swirl.  The colours are ruby / cranberry, light gold and a very light aquamarine / soft turquoise. I've spent hours online looking for something similar and have passed between, Czech, French, English and German makers without success.

Dimensions: 19cm across x 14cm height and the swirled foot of the pedestal is 9cm across and 7cm high.

Thanks so much in advance for viewing my plea for help!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Assistance required please - Glass Compote
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 07:14:01 PM »
Welcome to the board. It looks like something that could be Waltherglas if the colours are on the surface. Can we have a shot from above on a plain white background and in daylight please.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 07:49:18 PM »
Thanks for the help and yes...I'll get some better shots done in the next couple of days, pointing down on a white surface.

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 12:10:28 PM »
Following up from your response Christine, I decided to email Walther Glas with an enquiry and got a instant response. A very kind lady named Petra Rathmann has been invaluable with her knowledge of vintage Walther Glass and has indeed indentified the glass.

She's gone into detail, about the piece, which I'll share with you all and has also confirmed if there's any other Walther Glas that I'm struggling on, then she's happy to be point of contact.

Christine....a big 'thank you' to you firstly for suggesting it was Walther Glas and pointing me in the right direction...this is a great forum and I'm glad I've found it now.

Here's what Petra wrote:

The range to that the ftd. bowl belonged to was called "Galaxy".
It was designed in 1990 by Heiner Düsterhaus who was the designer for Walther-Glas at that time.

The glass is soda-lime pressed glass. The colors of the finishing are "Lüsterfarben" and were containing lead; they were sprayed on the glass and then burned in. (The opposite of the "Lüsterfarben" are organic colors.)

Eleven articles belonged to the range "Galaxy" (please see the old catalogue sheet in the appendix).

There was another colored version of this range, just in satin and rose. This was called "Galathée". The name of the clear and satin version was "Artesia".

I hope, I could help you a little bit with the history of your product by Walther-Glas.

Kind regards from Bad Driburg
i.V. Petra Rathmann

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 06:00:17 PM »
Thank you very much for sharing the info with us! :)

Michael

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
More than welcome Michael, a big thanks to the forum for helping me. You've got a 'Glass lover' convert here now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand