No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lovely English Studio glass vase new addition peter layton  (Read 1633 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Lovely English Studio glass vase new addition peter layton
« on: August 20, 2013, 03:46:47 PM »
Purchased straight from auction locally picked up today hope you like just had to show it off!! Why do we crave glass from other countries when we have such pieces made in the uk its my best piece to date and just cry's out to my senses im very pleased unless you didnt know already, Anyway i hope i dont cause any offence to any under bidders but just had too let you see it i believe its an early piece and has a signiture no date and remnants of a label 8" tall. Thyere is actually varying colours of greens and reds and bubbles running through that my pictures dont show.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Lovely English Studio glass vase new addition peter layton
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:17:02 AM »
Nice find :)
any chance of larger pictures showing the trailing and the green/bubbles?
thanks
m

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:47:42 AM »
Nice piece  :) Might be worth contacting London Glassblowing to confirm a date with Peter. I was your under bidder :), still surprised it was listed under Mdina!  ;) Could you take a picture of it with the light coming through just to show some of the detail/ colours etc, thanks.

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 09:18:04 AM »
Not the best pictures sorry for delay been on holiday with kids, In toush with london glass blowing they suggested its an early piece early 80s or late 70s..

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 11:56:15 AM »
Thanks for the adding the extra pics, the colours look superb.  :) Nice also to know a rough date for this one, the style seems quite different to his production over more recent years. Its a great piece indeed. :)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 12:23:19 PM »
Thanks greg glad you like it, Whats more suprising the guy who i picked it up from was an ex bonhams employee ??
When i first saw the piece it reminded me of sam hermann glass, Maybe an influence from working together i gather..
dan

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Whats more suprising the guy who i picked it up from was an ex bonhams employee ??

:) That is surprising- perhaps this could go some way to explaining why he is now an ex-employee!

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 02:13:32 PM »
great piece, some of the earlier work had much more creativity to it than later pieces and that goes for most of the studio glass. After a while it was all about technique. people are now  afraid to make things that aren't perfectly round or highly executed. Definitely not a production piece and that's what's so great about it.

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments ;D
Sylvie did go one step further in suggesting the value might be £250 but rising all the time, Me and my father are collectors of lots of things and have been trying to downsize things a bit and sell things but its very hard too let things you enjoy leave, I find it hard to understand what might be good for the future in terms of vaue he has suggested collecting earlier examples of glass from various places might be better in time and more decorative in the meantime too. I feel i may have to get rid of things and streamline to a more rigid criteria like this. Any suggestions as too collecting??

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 04:16:13 PM »
I can see why it got listed as Mdina - but it's not a mistake I'd have made myself.
I do love the colours - if the date suggested is correct, would this have been a piece made by Mr. Layton himself?

Does anybody know when he started using other makers and just doing the designing and signing? Was it gradual, or was there a cut-off date?

The colours (but not the shape) are very similar to a large Peter Layton signed bowl I have. (no pics atm, will get one.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand