No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano figurine info please?  (Read 1985 times)

Offline chriss

• Members
Murano figurine info please?
« on: August 25, 2013, 05:41:40 PM »
Hi I picked up a Murano figurine from a local antique fair, it is hand signed V. G. 1981 I was hoping someone could ID the maker please? Thanks  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Murano figurine info please?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »
Love it!!!!!!

The VG.  Something (V)__  (G)LASS 1981 ??
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chriss

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 06:48:37 PM »
I don't know if it could be Venini Glass, but that's just a guess  ???  :-\ I've tried trawling through all the websites that I know of which show Murano makers marks but no luck yet  :-\

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 11:10:04 AM »
 Franco Toffolo is another possibility he did these type of figures well  ? not strictly Murano has he was based in Blackpool of all places Venetian glass company so the VG could tie in?
Only seen labelled pieces though. Maybe worth investigating further.

Chris

Offline BrocasVennerWheeler

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • A wide spectrum of vintage!
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 03:22:27 PM »
The initial 'V' could stand for Vetreria, meaning glassware and the G could be the makers name.

Just a  thought as researching Murano is quite a minefield. Here's a great chap that could help - Angelo Sbrogio' email: artevenezia AT aol DOT com [ * ]

He's assisted me in the past regards Murano and is a great help.

[ * ] Mod: This slipped through net at the time of posting ... but adding full email addresses to a post is open to abuse by "spam harvest programs". So email address now changed as shown to fool the programs - 17/12/13

Offline chriss

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 05:10:01 PM »
Thank you very much everyone for your help :D I've got some names to be going on with now thanks. I had a large rabbit similar to the clowns, complete with a label from the Venetian Glass Company, which to me, wasn't made as well as this figurine, so I gave it away.
I've emailed the photos to the address given in the hope that he will help me and will let you know the outcome if and when he replies  ;D
Thank you again
Chris

Offline chriss

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 08:10:52 PM »
Hi, I got a quick response from my email and initially I mentioned Venini, Franco Toffolo the Venetian glass Company and Vetreria but he responded by saying that this is a glass figure very common in Venice making no reference to The Venetian Glass Company, and that almost every furnace makes this kind of work which is named "Figure Goldoniane". He also said that normally the glass factory signs a piece with the brand name, but in this case, it is the actual initials of the glass master who actually made it. Maybe it had a label originally which has long gone? I don't know if there is a data base of glass master names through the decades working for the Venice factories? (probably a few thousand of them over the years?  ::) ) ;D Thank you for all your help :)
Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand