No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can someone help me Id this pattern?  (Read 638 times)

Offline reneeandjerry

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass bowl id
    • usa
Can someone help me Id this pattern?
« on: September 04, 2013, 05:00:25 PM »
Hi, I'm not sure if I posted this already, I'm new.  I bought a few pieces of glass that is supposed to be 80+ years old.  It's beautiful and I've been trying to ID the pattern so I can get an idea how old and what it's worth.  I've tried for a long time online to find it but can't.  Can someone help me? thank you.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Can someone help me Id this pattern?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 11:49:19 PM »
Welcome to the Board,

Yes, you had made two posts about this pattern. I have removed the second post.

Hopefully someone will be able to assist with the pattern, but it may take a while. Generally, Board members do not provide formal valuations of worth. But if the items can be identified there may then be ways to find current amounts that have been realised through auction or other sales outlets.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:59:08 AM »
Hello

The 3 pieces on the left are J B Higbee's Banner aka Floral Oval pattern introduced c1908.  After they closed in 1918, a few moulds went to New Martinsville.

I can't see the design details on the footed piece but I think it is a different pattern.

Sid

Edited to add that their factory was in Bridgeville, PA.

Offline reneeandjerry

• Members
    • glass bowl id
    • usa
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 02:16:06 AM »
Thank you Sid, so much.  I have now a place to start.  Aren't they beautiful?  You made my day.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:24:07 AM »
I've obviously been searching in the wrong direction. :(   McKee Glass Company was my first thoughts, having narrowed my viewed sites to some of their types of patterned pressed glass.  Yes!  I would agree, that the footed bowl is different and think this needs to be posted separately, that's if Id is still required.   I believe the Museum of American Glass currently has some of these pattern pieces now that Sid has provided you with vital information.   Hopefully one of the experienced GMB members will be able to confirm this.   Nice find! ;)

Offline reneeandjerry

• Members
    • glass bowl id
    • usa
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 02:33:25 AM »
Thank you Otis.  I wish now, that I'd taken more time to look at the other glass he had at the estate sale.  I just love glass bowls, etc,  for some reason.  Just so sparkly.  Thank you again.

Thank you Kevin also!!!! :D

Offline reneeandjerry

• Members
    • glass bowl id
    • usa
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 03:16:37 AM »
I noticed that the bowl, one anyway, has few bubbles in it.  And, two scratches that look like they are inside glass or just surface.  think it was done when made.  I don't think anyone ever used these pieces.  they are very nice.  Thank you again!!!  How fun.  I've gotten other glass ware at yard and estate sales, so wondering if there is a beginners book or ID online place to do homework? :D

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »
Just to let you know if you are not already aware. Each item that is significantly different requires posting separately.  A vast amount of information can be gathered on this site without having to inundate oneself with too many books.   Books of course are very useful and are sometimes more detailed, dependant on the subject matter in question.    Referring to past post and threads is also helpful.  Some posts may not necessarily be responded to.  This is probably in most cases, that a particular piece is unknown by the glass collectors. Sometimes response to a post can take some time.  The key thing is to limit the amount of posts and provide good pictures and description.   Don't worry too much about difficulty in wording, as in most cases the GMB members and site moderators will in most cases be on hand to assist you should you have a problem.   If you go through the 'GMB Board of Info'.   there is important information that will guide you when using this site.   Wishing you all the best with your collection! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand