No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: bonbon bowl?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
bonbon bowl?
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:27:31 AM »
Hi again,this is a davidson piece with an rd number 533040 stamped on it,reg"d in 1908 and made until 1970,two questions please,firstly is it a bonbon dish and secondly if the rd number is stamped on a piece does that suggest earlier production or was it used over the 60 year period,many thanks..
PS 20cm wd ,10 ish ht.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: bonbon bowl?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:31:52 AM »
The registered number applies to the "blackberry" prunt design not the thing as a whole. The fact that yours has a rd no implies that it was made within 25/30 years of registration. (Registration was for 25 years I think, but I'm sure Paul will correct me, but moulds were used till they wore out or the shape was no longer produced. They don't last 60 years)

I would just call it a comport or a tazza.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 01:51:42 PM »
Thanks Christine..

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 07:53:06 PM »
quote...................'but moulds were used till they wore out or the shape was no longer produced. They don't last 60 years)'...............or even apparently that they were melted down during the fourteen/eighteen war as a contribution to munitions, like a lot of garden front railings and other ironwork.
Generally, if the No. is sharp and the glass shows signs of genuine wear, then I always think it's reasonable to assume it was made within a year or two perhaps of the date of Registration - or even earlier.           But Pieces are seen where the No. is virtually illegible, or even just a slightly rough area where is should be, and then the age is going to be vastly more recent.

I'm really not sure where the '25/30 years' comes from  -  Board of Trade Registrations lasted for a period of 5 years, and as happened quite often with a successful design, it could be extended for further periods, but I've not looked at this particular Registration in the archives, so don't know it's history or the details of its extensions, if any.           
If you care to shove a reminder in the 'Look Up' section regarding Registrations, I'll try and remember to have a look at this one next time I visit Kew.

I know very little about Davidson's pressed glass, but do see pieces with these blackberry prunts quite commonly which does back up the comments that 533040 was one of the longer lasting designs.

This would be quite a useful piece I'd imagine. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 09:17:38 PM »
I'm really not sure where the '25/30 years' comes from  -  Board of Trade Registrations lasted for a period of 5 years
I knew you'd put me right

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »
Thanks Paul,the stamp is as sharp as something...very sharp,I'm going to use it for marinated olives. :

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 10:02:47 AM »
I should have clarified my comment re the period of Registration (legal protection) for British Board of Trade Design Registrations.

For designs Registered after January 1884 i.e. where there is a number only and not a diamond lozenge, then the period of Registration (protection) was for a period of five years, which could be renewed - and indeed many designs were extended.            This bon bon dish 533040 would be one of those designs protected, initially, for a period of five years.

However, for designs Registered between 1842 and 1883 - the whole of the period covered by the diamond lozege - then the legal protection given by the Board of Trade was for a period of three years only.

Registration of designs with the British Board of Trade protected only within the U.K., and didn't seem to stop companies outside the U.K. from copying and selling British designs............plagiarism was probably a common problem anywhere.

Whilst this fuller more accurate explanation is given in Jenny Thompson's Book, it would appear that the Davidson book (page 135) refers to a 'five year' period only.    If I have that wrong, someone shout please. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand