No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: gadjet  (Read 1250 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
gadjet
« on: October 09, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »
Hi all,i hope I'm getting somewhere with working out some stem glass identification problems and at the risk of yet another public belly flop,i have another couple of glasses, both with gadjet marks,the one on the left  has no ring to it and I've got it down as Victorian 1860 to 1900 sweet meat dish,the one on the right as polish or the like, 70's or so with a ring to it,any feedback gratefully received,many thanks.The one on the left is about 11cm by 11cm.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: gadjet
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »
Hi bat20,

Could you please post each item for ID in separate threads, especially if you already think they may be from different countries. Otherwise, discussions can become mixed up and for cases where ID is to different countries it would be difficult for Moderators to split the details out to the correct Forum.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 05:46:18 PM »
It's more of a question about gadget marks and dating their use in other countries than an id for different glasses Kevin,so if it's ok i"d like to keep them together. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:25:56 PM »
This matter of whether the Y and T marks  - nothing in common with inkjet by the way - were made by the gadget, was the subject of a very recent post in which Peter (Oldglassman) made it clear that they are in fact marks created by shears when separating the gob on the end of the pontil from the foot of the glass.   See here......   http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,53922.msg305855.html#msg305855

I'd suggest your description of the left hand piece is probably correct, although I'm not sure that the hey-day of 'fern' decoration extended quite to the end of the C19.             Other items it might be confused with are the slightly larger comport, and the much deeper open sugar.

As for the right hand piece, I've really no idea if material dating to the 1970's is found with the shears mark  -  perhaps you might post a picture for us to see.          I think your suggestion of Polish is too tenuous a guess - smoky coloured glass has been produced in every country under the sun for many decades  -  we'd need something of substance to go on to follow you in that direction.             However, it certainly looks modern in the sense of being from the last half century.

So.............what shall we say, 'half a public belly flop' ;)     

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:38:58 PM »
meant to add............It seems that any marks the gadget might leave on the foot of a glass, if at all visible, will be seen on the upper surface - although they seem very difficult to detect - but if you do find them a picture would be appreciated.           Pictures of undersides of the feet of drinking glasses provide useful information in any event, so nothing wasted by including them. :)       

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 08:46:39 PM »
  Hi ,
        Bat20 , you might like to watch this ,     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQGO3wDesLE&feature=related

cheers ,
              Peter.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 07:32:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies again and the mesmerizing clip,the number of failed photos i have now on my computer  and the kama sutra type positions I've been in you would not believe ;),so i hope this one of the mark on the smoke glass piece is of some help,the gadjet marks on top of the foot i"m finding hard to spot,i think i need a magnifying glass with a light..

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 08:31:57 AM »
That's a shear mark

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 10:40:04 AM »
So what we're saying is when people describe their glass as having 'y' or 't" gadjet mark on the base it is incorrect as they are the shear marks only indicating in some cases,depending on the look of the glass,that a gadjet was used,but the actual gadjet marks are found on the surface of the foot and can"t always be seen..

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »
Bernard seems to have a good description here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=28538.0

I suspect a gadget mark has much broader lines than a cut-like a shear mark

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand