No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bagley Glass Plinth colour?  (Read 550 times)

Offline vanmann

• Members
Bagley Glass Plinth colour?
« on: October 09, 2013, 01:50:48 PM »
I picked up this plinth the other day assuming it to be a Bagley one. Marked inside Made in England No. 3 which I expected. On getting it home I noticed that when near a light source it is actually a Purpleish- Blue colour. Is this normal? I have noticed this colour change before, they have always just looked black. Thanks for any thoughts John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Bagley Glass Plinth colour?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »
Could well be Davidson Royal blue.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 02:35:03 PM »
I would consider it absolutely normal although granted its from experience in U.S. manufactured glass which may differ from european manufactured glass. In the U.S. 90%+ of "black" glass is actually black amethyst & depending on manufacturing formulas,  "black" glass may exhibit amethyst, red or blue coloration when held under a strong light source. 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 03:43:48 PM »
They are usually black amethyst, which is very hard to discern. I'll look for the shape later

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:48:26 PM »
I've seen hordes of these over the years...........mostly British I'm sure, with the remainder, I'd always assumed, Continental  -   but not once did any of them even suggest to me it might have been this sort of blue.          They appear opaque to the extent that it doesn't occur to hold them to the light, although I appreciate the comments about 'black' glass showing deep amethyst under transmitted light - some of which I'd have over the years.
But then I've only had 'black' looking plinths, I take it that Davidson Royal Blue must be quite scarce?

Just to confirm Greg's comments, I notice that the Bowey & Parsons 'Bagley' book speaks of a Davidson plinth which has "Made in England No. 3", moulded on the base - and they give a diameter of 3.75" across the base, although the colour shown is 'black'.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 09:05:02 PM »
I agree it's a Davidson

Offline vanmann

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 10:02:32 PM »
Thanks all for your info and comments. This one does measure 3.75 inches across base so from your comments does sound like Davidson's Royal Blue. Have also seen an article from "pressedintime.com" suggesting that due to expense of manufacture these were only made between January and September 1936, so presumably fairly thin on the ground.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 06:01:06 AM »
Not so  much expense of manufacture, as expense of colorant

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia