No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Lampwork Fruit and Vine Paperweight - ID Help Please  (Read 1007 times)

Offline SimonD

• Members
Lampwork Fruit and Vine Paperweight - ID Help Please
« on: October 13, 2013, 07:19:06 PM »
Can anyone help me identify this little paperweight? It measures 1.95 inches diameter, by 1.05 inches high, and has a lampwork design of what looks like two large vine-like leaves and a leaf-shoot, with five yellow/red fruit. The five fruit share a very fine stem, and could perhaps be red-currants. The lampwork detail is quite fine in terms of colour gradation on the fruit and the little dimples at the end.

The base of the weight suggests antique French to me.

What is a little odd is that the lampwork design essentially rests on the bottom of the glass. On the underside it looks like the polishing touches/cuts through the bottom of the leaves. This might be how it was made, or could indicate that the weight has been repolished.

Any thoughts or speculations would be most welcome!

Simon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Lampwork Fruit and Vine Paperweight - ID Help Please
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 08:44:45 PM »

Hi Simon. 

I am in speculation mode, but I would agree that from the base and the profile it looks repolished, and I agree it looks like an antique French piece.  The leaf shape reminds me of similar leaves in Saint-Louis redcurrant paperweights, so I think that is a possibility - but I am not confident in that suggestion!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SimonD

• Members
Re: Lampwork Fruit and Vine Paperweight - ID Help Please
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »
Thanks Alan, It didn't occur to me it could be a St Louis weight!

A weight identified as St Louis fruit paperweight with very similar leaves was sold at Bonhams (lot 340, 14 Nov 2007) - http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/15272/lot/340/ . George Kulles in "Identifying Antique Paperweights - Lampwork" also associates these vine leaves with St Louis (p28).

However, Paul Dunlop's article in the 2004 Annual Bulletin of the Paperweight Collectors Association, Inc entitled "Pantin Paperweights - Observations on this Master of Three Dimensional Lampwork" (p63-69) shows a weight described as "Currants on white ground with grape leaves" with very similar leaves! (Figure 12 on p66)

It's quite possible that the leaves were made and used by different makers, of course. All very confusing!

Thanks again,

Simon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand