No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Saw Tooth Decorative Vase. Unknown  (Read 702 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Uranium Saw Tooth Decorative Vase. Unknown
« on: November 03, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »
Hi, Can anyone help me identifying this beautiful decorative cherry pressed glass vase.  I've carried out searches and most recently advised by a valued member of the Whitefriars site, that this vase maybe an early piece.  During my searches I did not find anything that resembled this vase, even down to the pattern design.  The cherries/grapes design is concave, rather than the normal convex style, seen on many vases during my time of collecting.   This is certainly an unusual vase. The vase is definitely made up of 3 sections. Under UV light, the vase glows very brightly.  The vase was purchased with a frog insert, but was unsure whether the insert is meant for this particular design and shape vase.  It too, has high content of uranium.  Your help is very much appreciated in anticipation.

H. 15.2cm, Rim  dia. 14.7cm and base dia. 9.1cm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: Uranium Saw Tooth Decorative Vase. Unknown
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:02:10 AM »
I thought I would include these additional pictures.   I deliberately took a further picture of the vase because I am fascinated by the optical lens effect when viewed through one of the sections of the vase.  The vase appears more decorative than it actually is.   I also included the insert frog that came with this vase.  Unfortunately there is some damage to it.     Please let me know if this needs to be posted as a separate item.  Hope this will be of some help. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 03:00:05 AM »
Is it my imagination or do the bits I circled have something written there?
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 07:19:28 AM »
Almost certainly 1930s-50s,. My guess would be Czech or perhaps Polish. I also think your cherries are grapes. And yes the frog is likely the right one

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 07:35:50 PM »
Hi, The areas you mentioned are in fact a pattern design,...... I think?  ::) The oblong areas within areas circled, the markings look like this: LLLLL.  I have thoroughly checked this vase and can honestly say, I am unable to find anything significant to mention as being markings.  Such a beautiful decorative vase, one would have thought this vase would be easily identifiable.   Oh yes! Thanks for the confirmation Christine, that is, relating to the insert frog.   With regards being either Czech. or Polish, I will have to investigate those areas as a line of approach.   I've recently spent some time trying to find information about this vase, especially paying attention to the unusual pattern between the grapes. That is, the draped like sheet clearly visible on all three sections, but not being able to find this pattern, is certainly making it more difficult for me.   I should also mention during my observation, striation lines can be seen around mainly the lower  bowl area.   Small air pockets are also visible.  The plain areas of the vase are also blurred when viewed by eye.  Surely being pressed glass, they would have been made in multiples, would you not think?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 08:17:20 PM »
Surely being pressed glass, they would have been made in multiples, would you not think?

Of course...

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 08:32:15 PM »
That's the problem Christine.   Multiples?  I've spent a few days now, as my interest in the knowledge of this piece grows even stronger.    Even down to the actual design, which I would  expect on other pieces, has not revealed anything yet.  Like I said, the convex 'grapes', I would of thought, would have catapulted the possibility of an i.d. I suppose, that's being rather presumptuous  ::).  The narcissus style pattern is unusual too, as I cannot recall seeing this type of design to the base before.  On closer inspection I have compared each of the three sections and none are identical, but to the eye and at a distance they do look the same, even down to the stalks which I have noticed are in different lengths.  The draped shapes are different too.   The Joins of the sections I have observed, still  have the jagged sharp edges, mainly around the base foot.    I still want rule out though, that is, made in multiples, but I must confess, I am becoming even more doubtful.

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »
...  The narcissus style pattern is unusual too, as I cannot recall seeing this type of design to the base before.  ...

How strange.  I don't see a narcissus pattern at all?  You are referring to the flower (aka  daffodil or jonquil) and not the Greek tragedy character right?  I think I must be interpreting the design incorrectly.  I thought I was seeing ribbons and bows.  EDIT - Silly me, you said base.  I see it now.  Interesting.

As I look at this again, there's something very familiar about those cherries or grapes, or whatever they are that didn't strike me before.  Need to look for a piece buried here somewhere. 
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 01:02:36 AM »
Yes! I was referring to the base flower, which I am assuming represents in Greek mythology (Narcissist ).  It was only my thoughts though, however, this pattern may not have anything to do with this whatsoever, it's just that I find this too interesting to just put aside now. I've just been browsing for the last few hours, but still keeping my fingers crossed that all will be revealed. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand