No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jules Lang Rd. No. 578531  (Read 4154 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Jules Lang Rd. No. 578531
« on: November 05, 2013, 11:16:55 PM »
of possible interest to the pressed glass people - two liqueur or small sherry glasses both carrying the same hobnail pattern, and both with Rd. No. 578531 under the foot.            Stems are six sided - there are three mould seams and an outer foot rim that lifts the Rd. No. from the table top.           

This number is dated 15.02.1911 and is shown in the Blue Book as Registered to Jules Lang & Son, who were wholesalers and retailers in the U.K. and manufacturers, apparently, in France.       Their name appears in Thompson quite regularly which confirms that they were also purchasing from U.K. factories with their own Rd. Nos. incorporated into the design.      Believe they continued purchasing from British factories through to the middle of the C20.

Whether Lang created the designs themselves I'm not sure  - but looking at the decoration on these two it appears very similar to Davidson's 'Hobnail', which I'd have assumed was still going strong when these glasses were Registered.            So not quite sure how Lang got round that one unless the design Registration for 'Hobnail' had expired by 1911 - or perhpas Davidson had made these.                 

Almost zero wear on the feet of these, so either closeted away somewhere or much later pressings than 1911.               Any comments welcome, and thanks for looking. :)                     

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Jules Lang Rd. No. 578531
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 11:22:04 PM »
sorry, posted in the wrong place  -  grateful if this could be moved - thanks :-[

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

bfg

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:18:40 AM »
Hi Paul, I'm slowly building up a set of these - they are so rough and ready, I quite like them.

Some have the reg no, some don't.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 01:05:05 PM »
thanks for the feedback from Mel and Christine.               I'd not been aware of seeing any more than these two, but quite small, so could be missed easily I suppose - and certainly very rough and ready - but with a sort of rustic charm.

Jules Lang & Co. and the subsequent change (around 1904 perhaps??) to Jules Lang & Son, seems to present a long and complex history  - they purchased moulds from several U.K. factories - bought glass from Continental and U.K. firms and seem also to have made their own in France.              If you use the Board's search there seems to have been a fair amount of interesting chit-chat in past years.

Regret I don't have accurate information on their history, so can't give reliable chapter and verse, but this would make a good meaty subject for anyone who has the time and interest to research.
Pressed glass isn't my thing really, but I collect drinking glasses, and like old things  -  and with the potential of this being a genuine antique,
think they make interesting pieces of social history, so worth keeping.
I'll see if I can find some more. :)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »
RD 277168 of 4 June 1896 - this time in yellowish-green uranium glass. I can't recall Jules Lang's glassware in uranium glass before (though there are some vases in opaque turquoise-blue glass, rather like Portieux  vases, from about the same period).

(Permission for the re-use of this image on the GMB granted by mrs vulture).

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »
The hobnail pattern also appears on at least two of Lang’s earlier registered designs:

RD 238687 of 28 August 1894 (photos of a pair of stopper cruet bottles and a decanter in the same pattern)

RD 256562 of 20 July 1895 (decanter).

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 03:59:34 PM »
nice pieces Fred -  the same design and Rd. No. as Lustrousstone's.

According to Ivo's book, some of the moulds bought by JL, from British factories (Sowerby, Ed. Moore and PV), were used by Valerysthal and Portieux in France  -  it's believed that this applies to older production i.e. prior to the 14/18 war period  -  which would seem to cover the dates of the pieces mentioned here.

does this hobnail appear to infringe Davidson's Registered design do we think??

Oh, we know Mrs. Vulture from East Anglia - definitely a GMB member :)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 12:28:15 PM »
I have one of these glasses...they look very similar to these in the decanter set item 98 by Jayet Fréres....https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Jayet-Freres-1910.349+B6YmFja1BJRD0zNDkmcHJvZHVjdElEPTE0MTcyJnBpZF9wcm9kdWN0PTM0OSZkZXRhaWw9.0.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand