No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monte Dunlavy paperweight USA  (Read 7019 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Monte Dunlavy paperweight USA
« on: November 14, 2013, 09:12:37 PM »
Very little information available online maybe worked for Blenko?
Maybe one of our American members can shed some light?
Thanks for looking Chris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Re: Monte Dunlavy paperweight USA
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »
The style of paperweight is associated with Joe St. Clair, but I can't find anything in my references that he worked at the St. Clair factory in Elwood, Indiana. 

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sach

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 03:48:22 PM »
A quick google search turns up connections to both Blenko and St Clair.

http://herald-dispatchblogs04.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 06:14:10 PM »
I read the blog also and it actually says that Joe Rice and Monte Dunlavy worked for Harry Thompson at Blenko or Indiana Glass.  I was aware of that blog posting, but it is hard to find other good references connecting Dunlavy to either Blenko or St. Clair.   The same goes for connecting connecting Joe Rice to Blenko.   

There was an eBay listing with similar information about Dunlavy that is now on the Worthpoint site. 

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-monte-dunlavy-cranberry-245875148

"Monte Dunlavy worked at Blenko Glass in West Virginia until 1966. He then worked at Indiana Glass until the factory closed, and later had a shop of his own where he continued to skillfully produce paperweights and other items. "

That said, Dunlavy's style is very similar to St. Clair weights, so a connection is likely. 

Joe Rice is a third generation member of the St. Clair family, being a nephew of Joe St. Clair.  Joe Rice purchased the St. Clair Factory in 1987.  His biography on his web page does not mention any association with Blenko. 

http://www.thehouseofglassinc.com/history.htm

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 09:03:52 PM »
He did work at St. Clair as referenced in the house of glass link. They spelled it different. His paperweights can be found in most every Indiana antique shop it seems. I see them a lot anyway.

Offline BobKegeles

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Caithness Paperweights
    • USA
    • Bubbles Baubles and Blown Glass
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:47:03 AM »
This is from my ebay listing for a Monte Dunlavy, it was the best info I could find when writing the listing.

Monte Dunlavy Monte Dunleavy I've seen both spellings. The correct spelling is Dunlavy, based on the impression signature of the w8 I have currently listed.

"Monte Dunlavy learned his craft at Blenko glass with other such glass blowers as Joe Rice, Charly Gibson, and Jim Davis, before he struck out on his own."
Bob Kegeles

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 02:48:13 AM »
Monte worked for St. Clair Glass after it was sold and worked with Charlie Gibson, Jim Davis, and a few others that had worked in numerous factories in West Virginia. He then worked in the hand shop for Indiana Glass In Dunkirk, IN, After the closing of the hand shop he ran his own studio in Portland, IN. Monte and I were good friends. I moved from the area about 13 years ago and the last I had talked to him he had stopped making glass and sold most of his equipment and had taken up selling real estate. His wife used to help him run the shop, but I had heard she passed away several years ago.
He used to make some very large doorstops that few others could make, about 12-14 lb. pieces and about 8-10 inches in dia.
He and his wife would take a trip to FL every winter,load their car with paperweights and sell to lots of gift shops along the way.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 02:47:02 PM »
Thank you for sharing the information.

Chris

Offline Jenniatonu

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 09:48:21 PM »
Monte worked for St. Clair Glass after it was sold and worked with Charlie Gibson, Jim Davis, and a few others that had worked in numerous factories in West Virginia. He then worked in the hand shop for Indiana Glass In Dunkirk, IN, After the closing of the hand shop he ran his own studio in Portland, IN. Monte and I were good friends. I moved from the area about 13 years ago and the last I had talked to him he had stopped making glass and sold most of his equipment and had taken up selling real estate. His wife used to help him run the shop, but I had heard she passed away several years ago.
He used to make some very large doorstops that few others could make, about 12-14 lb. pieces and about 8-10 inches in dia.
He and his wife would take a trip to FL every winter,load their car with paperweights and sell to lots of gift shops along the way.

Sorry for reviving a dead/old thread. I am actually Monte's granddaughter.

He has in fact sold his shop and is selling real estate. I can however gladly update you that Marada is still well, and full of life! If you ever want to get in contact again with him, I'm sure he'd love to hear from you!

When I was younger, my mother took me and a friend to WV where we visted Blenko. My mom was describing the steps of creating the items, and one worker asked where/how she became very knowledgeable. It was then discovered that the man was the son of a man Monte worked with many years prior. When we told Monte, he got such a kick out of it.

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 01:51:14 AM »
glad to hear Monte and Marada are still doing fine. very nice people.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand