No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bristol glass?  (Read 388 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Bristol glass?
« on: November 16, 2013, 10:29:38 AM »
Hi all,i found this glass the other day with a polished pontil and cut bowl with the facets carrying on down the stem,the other interesting thing about it is the encased air bubble running along the length of the stem.I found one similar,with a green bowl,described as Bristol ware,it has very little ware and is small wine glass sized, any thoughts, many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Bristol glass?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 04:25:19 PM »
There's a tendency to use the word Bristol for anything with a green bowl, and it's probably a connection that's been borrowed from those late Georgian/Regency glasses, made usually with drawn funnel/trumpet and tulip shaped shaped bowls, with rather wide but flat feet  -  you'd recognize them - they're green throughout.             Some may well have been made around Bristol, but doubtless a lot more were made in London and the Midlands, so probably dodgy to say Bristol definitely.         Green bowls, apparently, were meant for port rather than wine.

With this piece perhaps not possible to be certain whether it's for wine, port or sherry  -  the Victorians made glasses for those drinks in a variety of shapes, and some even for water, although they'd be a little bigger probably.         As you can imagine, dating lacks accuracy  -  Barry Skelcher is keen to date some hollow stemmed uranium examples to about 1870 - 1880, certainly not later than 1900 if the cut edges feel sharp - acid polishing produces smooth edges and means C20.             The polished pontil depression is unreliable for dating in this instance, and my opinion is best to say 1870 - 1900, but if someone can be definite about earlier date then that's o.k.
He suggests that if the edge of the foot is symmetrically rounded then it's probably moulded and will date to post 1875 ish.
There are probably six flats on this stem - although seven is not uncommon.

This is a quality glass - if only you had the set.                   See attached pix for other second half C19 stems - plain and cut - I think the uranium example matches the pattern of your stem.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 05:06:51 PM »
The small green bowls might be for port but hock glasses often have green bowls

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 06:20:40 PM »
Thanks everyone,loving them there glasses Paul and i hope to come across some soon.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand