No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 18th century glasses.  (Read 630 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
18th century glasses.
« on: November 16, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
Hi again,chatting to a old friend about my growing interest in glass and especially drinking glasses he casualy mentioned he had a couple that he thought might be interesting,i asked to see them and after emptying them of odd bits and bobs put them infront of me,i'm glad to say i resisted the fleeting impulse to declare them early Ikea and had to say i felt they may be 18th century.Just to help me with my ongoing steep learning curve please feel free to chip in with my obvious mistakes,glass on the left,opaque twist ogee bowl plain foot 1760,glass on right,baluster stem annulated knop bell bowl with folded foot 1730.They both have a ring with wear, the baluster stem just maybe having a slighty brighter look to the stem, the bowl looks and feels right though.These glasses will never be sold in my friends life time ,but it would be interesting to know if they are genuine i'm sure about the twist glass,which has to be said doesn't mean alot! many thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: 18th century glasses.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 04:32:11 PM »
I'm a big fan of the twist descending the correct way - also of dirt lodged in snapped scars.

Am sure Peter will give his opinion soon.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »
Hi ,
           Short and sweet , nice glasses well described . but the bits and bobs should be kept out of the baluster , I would suggest a nice port instead .

cheers ,
                 Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 06:30:10 PM »
 Thanks Peter,yeah bits and bobs!he doesn't deserve them you know,lol.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand