No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A traforato type - trellis bowl green iridescent - Ercole Barovier?  (Read 5037 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've no idea about this at all.  I don't mind when it was made  as I bought it out of curiosity -  I like this design of glass and the colour and iridescence made it a bit different (although I can't stand the new frilly small bowl and cinderella carriage type stuff in clear  :-[ )

I really can't pin it down to anything new or old.  I've not found anything at all to match, although I have found recent clear 'variations' on a theme but they are zig zag at the top and have no final straight 'rim'.
I know the following:
- Steuben did a variation including 'lattice/trellis work' - sure it's not Steuben though is it?  did they do this iridescence and colour?
- I'm pretty sure I recently found a Holmegaard version 19th century somewhere but cannot find the link again unfortunately - they were in clear and I don't think it's them but maybe Scandinavian perhaps?
- Thomas Webb patented a zig zag basket 7" high and straighter sides than this, sort of like an upright straight sided ice bucket type shape, with  glass liner,  in 1901
- Boulton and Mills patented a rim that consisted of this type of zig zag ( wondering if Jinxi's 'pear' bowl on this thread (link below) might be Boulton and Mills perhaps?)
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,36683.msg199874.html#msg199874
- There are new variations on this theme some blue and clear, some clear, but I've not found any this shape so far, and none in this colour and iridescent finish.  That's not to say they don't exist being jobbed out somewhere though.

My bowl:
- The glass rings but it's not overtly heavy, probably normal for size, not light either.
- Everything about it is in excellent condition, apart from heavy wear around  three fairly longish areas around the base rim,which I was quite surprised to see as I'd been expecting it to be brand new for some reason.
- It has a fair amount of accumulated dust and dirt but nothing that wouldn't accumulate over a few years I guess.
- It's slightly iridescent purples and oranges, but no surface texture.
- Big at 10" wide by 3 3/4" high
- All handmade
- The base and pontil mark are very indented, however the pontil mark looks as though the pontil rod had five or six 'grips' on it as it's      left little marks around the pontil mark circle rather than it being snapped off leaving a straight line or a round snapped off mark. Might this indicate a newer type of pontil rod maybe?

My first thought was a museum replica, but a replica of what?  I've not found any very old a Traforato pieces in anything other than clear and very few references for those.
My second thought was that perhaps it might be an Art Nouveau era piece when iridescence was at it's height?

I have searched extensively on this one, on the net, in all my books etc, and absolutely nothing.  So any help or ideas very much appreciated.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
close up of foot profile and showing indented pontil mark

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Have no idea but very Pretty

I think I did once see something like this at Antique Helper (maybe under Murano) or just under the words of Art glass.  It was a weaved pattern basket like this in an iridescent clear

That's all I can say -- but yours is very pretty too!! ;)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ooh thanks Rose :) - I'll go take a look and see if I can find anything.

edited -
well I did find this one - not the same but lots of similarities?
http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/333033
and this
http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/326374
and look at the pontil mark on the bowl! It has blobs
http://www.antiquehelper.com/auctionimages/48172.jpg
blimey Rose  :o that was inspired - thanks, I have something else to search around now.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Murano-signed-Ercole-Barovier-Iridato-Vase-/281209607821
This vase also has the odd pontil mark and is signed E. Barovier 1954 or 1957.  Listed as Iridato Ercole Barovier.
It is an iridised clear glass vase with pulls on top.
This charger (aventurine and bubbles in clear - 15" wide)  through Christie's also has the odd pontil mark if you hover over the centre of the last picture and is listed as Ercole Barovier dates to 1930s and has the remains of the label.

I've also found a number of examples of this particular colour green in iridised form from Ercole Barovier, notably Eugeneo.

The  pink lattice basket with fruit is listed here as c.1910
http://www.palmbeachmodernauctions.com/October2011_3.asp

Is my basket by  Ercole Barovier?  The Dan Ripley auctions seems to suggest the basket ones are c.1920s.
Does anyone know please?
Thanks
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: A traforato type - trellis bowl green iridescent - Ercole Barovier?
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 04:40:42 PM »
Ercole Barovier Primavera bowl Italy, 1929
This bowl also seems to have the heavily indented base
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6027249
and this vase has the same pontil mark with the blobs and uses that green glass
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7296200
m

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 06:26:27 PM »
That pontil is typically Italian  and used by the companies you mentioned .

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 09:05:36 PM »
Thank you JP :)

I've found this lamp, sold in 2005.  It has the fruit in the top of a different kind of bowl but some of  the fruit (particularly the crimson ones that look like either raspberries or lichees)  look remarkably similar to fruit in the pink lattice bowl and the green bowl with fruit on top linked in the Dan Ripley site. 
This lamp has a partial label remaining and the listing says '...Partial manufacturer's label to underside: [Vetrepia Artisti Barovier Murano]'.
In addition, the two green bowls sold for $14,500 together, and were listed as Artisti Barovier on Dan Ripley, not attributed.  And the pink was also a firm id not an attribution as there were on other pieces.  Therefore I believe these are from Artisti Barovier.

My bowl is the same lattice design as the pink bowl and the underside of the fruit lids on the pink and green. 
The way the glass is finished on the surrounding rim is the same as the green bowl.
The colour green looks right for Artisti Barovier
The iridescence looks right for Artisti Barovier
The pink bowl also has an indented base as do the Primavera range pieces I've found, also by Artisti Barovier.
The pontil mark is right.

I have found a separate lid of fruit that sold and it measures what I believe is the same diameter as the narrower pink basket (7 1/2" wide).  The pink basket is listed as being 10 1/2" tall in the Ripley auction so the width looks right for that looking at the shape of the piece.

The wider green bowl with fruit is a solid bowl rather than lattice, but has the lattice on the lid with the fruit set onto that.  The Ripley auction says it is 8" high (I believe this is with fruit lid in place).  My estimates, measuring the photograph, are that would make the bowl c. 10" wide and the height of the bowl c. 3 1/2" to 4" i.e. the same as mine.
http://www.antiquehelper.com/auctionimages/48172.jpg  (if you click on the bottom photo on the left it will enlarge to show the lattice)

Mine has no evidence on the rim of having ever supported a lid of fruit.  I assume that the fruit, although probably not overheavy, might be too heavy to be supported on the size and shape and openwork design of my lattice bowl ( hence the large green bowl in the Ripley auction being solid). 

Taking all this into account I believe mine is part of this range made by Artisti Barovier (and possibly Ercole Barovier according to the listing for the pink bowl) but I don't think mine would have had a fruit lid.

Rose, thank you so very much!  I would never have found this as I have searched on these bowls for a good few months now for something else.  Thank you, I really appreciate it :)
m

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »
Thank you JP :)

I've found this lamp, sold in 2005....... 

Rose, thank you so very much!  I would never have found this as I have searched on these bowls for a good few months now for something else.  Thank you, I really appreciate it :)
m

Thanks, Your Welcome!  :-*

I just happened to remember seeing something like it and remembered which site it was on.  I just thought I would *throw it out there* for you and just mention it and see where it goes.  Guess I lucked out that time!
   ;D

Nice to be able to help others back when so many of you have helped me!! 

Looks like your bowl has a prominent  ID now!!       Nice FIND!!!
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »
thanks Rose
I realised I hadn't linked the labelled lamp with fruit
http://www.wright20.com/auctions/view/BZ9U/F57Y/173/LA/none/TOP/0/

I'm very happy :)
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum