No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jane Webb & Joseph Hammond Boat (19 December 1872)  (Read 944 times)

Offline nosloz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • england
Jane Webb & Joseph Hammond Boat (19 December 1872)
« on: November 25, 2013, 08:06:21 AM »
IS THIS A JANE WEBB BOAT?

Please view photos & see what you think.

It is the same shape as the registration drawings, see references below, but has VERTICAL rather than HORIZONTAL lines.
Has anyone ever seen the real thing with HORIZONTAL lines?

The lozenge is quite clear as 19, I, A, 3 which fits perfectly for the Jane Webb date.

It has got to go along with hundreds of other pieces, and would be nice to have the considered opinion of probably more knowledgeable people than me before releasing it upon the world.

The main topic thread is at
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,54643.0.html

but the boat representation RD 268883 is shown in detail as reply #7 at
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,54366.msg308246.html#msg308246

Nosloz

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nosloz

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • england
Re: Jane Webb & Joseph Hammond Boat (19 December 1872)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 12:02:01 PM »
Bigger photos!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »
Here are photos of a Jane Webb & Joseph Hammond… RD 268883 (19 December 1872 – Parcel 3) boat-shaped flower trough in accord with the design representation.  ‘Clinker-built’ sides and plain base externally frosted, ‘bobbled’ top edge, sloping flat stern with the appropriate  registry date lozenge to the exterior. 11 ¾ inches long x 2 9/16 inches wide  x 1 15/16 high at the prow.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 06:46:18 PM »
Here are some photos of a triangular flower trough by Jane Webb & Joseph Hammond acting &c… RD 263540, 21 July 1872 – Parcel 6.

It has the same vertically ribbed sides, beaded top edge, and beaded base as Rob’s boat trough shown in the opening post of this thread.

I think that it is quite probable that Jane Webb &c made a version of the boat trough to match the triangular flower trough (and perhaps other similar pieces within a range of troughs). The original plunger could have been used to fashion the interior, and the mould for the ‘clinker-built’ exterior either exchanged or modified to make the ribbed version of the boat trough.

The frosting on the exterior of the ‘clinker-built’ version would, of course, have been applied using hydrofluoric acid after the trough was removed from the mould and could easily have been an optional finish.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand