No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Japanese Cloisonne  (Read 852 times)

Offline singingyamada

• Members
Japanese Cloisonne
« on: November 27, 2013, 09:33:17 AM »
I picked up this vase and had no way to describe it but someone has said that it is Japanese Cloisonne, but that can mean ( I think) alot.  What I have seen similar is very pricey so I dont think I have hit the jackpot. Never my luck. Its seems to have a metal interior with a dimple ? enamel a clear glass outer layer and a silver or crome top and bottom rim.  Nothing in the way of a makers mark.  I kow there are fakes alive out there but just a little clarification would help. Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Japanese Cloisonne
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 11:59:44 AM »
It's metal, not glass, as you were told elsewhere. You perhaps need a Japanese forum rather than a glass forum. Enamels might be glass - but they don't count here unless they are on glass

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NMott

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:54:37 PM »
AS has been said, it's Japanese Cloisonne - enamelled metal. If it was by a top artist it would be signed. Difficult to date from the photos, but they're traditional form; made any time from late 19th Century to today.
I can't tell from the photos if the flowers and birds have simply been painted over the top of the green enamel, or if they are themselves enamelled. If the latter, then it's proper cloisonne.
If there's is any form of damage then the value drops like a stone, and they are easily damaged by bumps and dings and corrosion of the metal underneath the enamel.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:12:24 PM »
This is a nice example of Japanese cloisonne in the Ginbari style.  The Ginbari refers to the beaten metal under the transparent enamel (which is so thick one could be excused for believing a type of glass.  The floral decor is also enamel in opaque colours held in place by fine silver wire.  The base ring is sliver.

If you get typical chinese cloisonne the base ring and rim will be brass.  There will be brass wires separating the enamels and lots of "curls" in larger areas.

Here are some photos showing the various types.  First photo is chinese, next two are Ginbari and the last has the opaque yellow background.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 02:15:03 PM »
Meant to look up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitreous_enamel which shows enamel IS glass and as such is no different to slumped glass or even pate de verre.

Ross

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 02:18:15 PM »
We know enamel is glass but
they don't count here unless they are on glass

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 02:29:55 PM »
As Ross said Ginbari,still being made today I believe,have a few myself, ;D ;D

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 02:36:36 PM »
See attached Art-deco image from Google.  The glass is on metal (same as cloisonne) otherwise there is no item.  Yet we all know stained glass.  Why have a prejudice against another form?

A second image from Google Images makes it hard to see he has used metal but it is undoubtedly glass.

Ross

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 03:09:16 PM »
It's not a case of prejudice - stained glass is mentioned only infrequently here. Glass trimmed or decorated with metal is, but its base is glass not metal. If we are going to be all inclusive we should include glazed ceramics. It's about not being all things to all men and ending up helping no-one. Cloisonne belongs in the cafe. It's good Lee has been helped but it's a glass forum.

PS if those are not your images, you should remove them and provide links to avoid breaching copyright.

Offline singingyamada

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 06:52:39 PM »
 thanks so much  to those for your clarification for what I assumed to be glass over metal and therefore a glass question.  Now that I fell scolded and embarrassed . I will leave it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand