No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Eunson & Scurr, Sunderland, Tazza & Oval Dish, RD 291662, 8 January 1897.  (Read 3464 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
A clear pressed glass tazza and an oval dish, both embossed with registered design number 291662 (registered to Eunson & Scurr, Sunderland, on 8 January 1897).

(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Rob Young).

In 1893 Thomas Scurr and George Eunson, both of whom had previously, been employed by the firm Greener & Co., Sunderland set up a new works at the recently-vacated Low Fulwell Bottle Works, Fulwell Road, Sunderland.The works was said to be well equipped for the production of ornamental table ware and the pair had the added benefit of a patent taken out by George Eunson for lining moulds with a mixture of plumbago and tallow. The firm collapsed c. 1905. (Ref. “The Development Of The Glass Industry On The Rivers Tyne And Wear, 1700 – 1900” by Catherine Ross - a thesis submitted for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, 1982).

Eunson & Scurr had three previous registrations in 1895:
RD 266768 2 December 1895
RD 267931 20 December 1895
RD 267932 20 December 1895

Does anyone have any photos of pieces from these three registered designs to show?

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Can I make a correction to the registration date of RD 291662, please?

The date should read 8 January 1897 thoughout (not the 18th January 1897, as above).

I will ask the mods to correct this error if possible.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Date corrected in both Title and Text (2 occurrences).
KevinH

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
Now some photos of a circular dish / fruit bowl? embossed with registered design number 267931 (registered to Eunson & Scurr, Fulwell Road, Sunderland, on 20 December 1895). 9.5 inches diameter.

Permission to use these images on GMB granted by pamandtrevor1526

Fred.

Offline LinzC

• Members
    • NE England Glass History
    • UK
    • Heart of Glass
Re: Eunson & Scurr, Sunderland, Tazza & Oval Dish, RD 291662, 8 January 1897.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 09:39:26 AM »
I know this thread is from a few years back, but I've recently been researching Eunson & Scurr.  I thought it pertinent to add my biscuit barrel to the thread and also correct some information provided in the opening post relating to George Eunson and his relationship to the Eclipse Glass Works.

I've yet to establish if the Eclipse Glass Works was on the same site as the bottle works at Low Fulwell/Monkwearmouth.  Certainly when the old bottle works was taken over by Richard Hendry in 1893 it had been derelict for nine years and 100l had been spent on renovating it.  However, the enterprise lasted less than a year and went bankrupt.  Newspaper reports, from a couple of years later, indicate the Eclipse Glass Works was newly built and had taken several months to complete.

George Grey Eunson was the manager of the Sunderland Glass Bottle Co. at Bishopwearmouth Panns.  He did have a patent (number 1494) which related to coating the inside of bottle moulds.  However, it was his cousin Thomas Eunson who was behind Eunson & Scurr.  Thomas was a mould maker.  He had three patent applications dating to 9th Jan 1895, around the time the limited company was formed and the first designs were registered. 

I still have to establish the validity of the claim that Eunson and Scurr were previous employees of Henry Greener.  However, I have reason to believe that Thomas Scurr was Henry Greener's nephew.

Eunson & Scurr Ltd. operated from 1895 but it was decided to wind up the company voluntarily in December 1897.  Initially they tried to sell it as a going concern, but eventually the works was broken into parts and sold by auction on 15th March 1899.  Interestingly, a newspaper reported Mr Sowerby of Newcastle being one of the attendees.  This is possibly George Sowerby as he was operating the Lemington Glass Works at this time.  I need to access the liquidators report to (hopefully) get a fuller picture of who purchased what in the auction, but this is held at TNA at Kew.

So, on to the pretty bit... Biscuit barrel with design number 267932 in base, registered 20th December 1895, by Eunson & Scurr. 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Eunson & Scurr, Sunderland, Tazza & Oval Dish, RD 291662, 8 January 1897.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 05:24:52 PM »
The file downloads but isn't attached properly, so I'll try

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand