No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass salt id please  (Read 506 times)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Glass salt id please
« on: December 31, 2013, 05:12:21 PM »
Hello there can anyone help me with any info on this salt, or at least that's what i think it is, age, maker etc,  it has a polished pontil and wear to two point on the glass on the base i have tried to show in the last photo, regards Chris.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: Glass salt id please
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 05:14:43 PM »
It's 3 inches in height, 3 1/2 inches across the rim and 2 3/4 inches across the base.
Chris Parry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 05:34:06 PM »
Recently saw a blue to clear step cut vase listed as Webbs,if I remember right,on ebay and considering your location you never know, ::) ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »
sorry, can't add anything of real use, other than to say unlikely to be from the period it's shape is suggesting, but it's interesting and a nice piece of glass.   

Boat shaped salts with some sort of saw tooth or scalloped rim were one of many reproductions of Georgian table glass made during the first third of the C20  -  copies of C18 glass were a big thing by, for example, Hill Ouston in the early 1930's, although I get the impression most were clear glass only.
Keith's suggestion of Thomas Webb is a possibiliy, but others apart from T/Webb did use this blue, and I would have thought finding a maker to be very long odds.
If the cutting looks to be in unusually good condition, then unlikely to be prior to the C20  -  earlier cut salts tend not to survive without some indication of a hard life.

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 03:45:45 PM »
Ok thanks for that guys, i have another one of these i'll put on later i think that's Georgian, looking at what Paul has said but it has a rather Victorian looking base or might be 1930's in date.
Chris Parry

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 06:31:49 PM »
There is a Webb Corbett visitor centre at the Ruskin Centre with a gentleman called Ian Dury,not the singer ::) who knows a lot about local glass,he might be able to help, ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand